PDA

View Full Version : radiator hose sucking shut...

partsgirl
10-14-2007, 11:22 AM
1987 Monte Carlo SS,305 184,000 miles,car runs cool,no overheating problems,after driving and it cools down for some reason the upper radiator hose sucks shut,replaced the hose,and still doing the same thing..Checked the oil,no milkshake..any ideas?

Saltmine
10-14-2007, 06:05 PM
You might try replacing the radiator cap. Apparently, the valve inside the cap isn't opening when the engine cools off. The valve is supposed to open allowing coolant to flow into the radiator from the recovery tank as the engine cools.

partsgirl
10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
cool, I will try it.I owned a radiator shop for 10 years..a looooong time agao back in the early 80's and never really ran into this problem.We replaced caps usually when the rubbers were bad,and never ran across one that didnt overheat when it did suck shut.
Last time I bought a cap they told me that none of them come now with that red release pressure flip thing..dunno if thats true or not.Personally I dont like them.Im gonna replace the t-stat too...just incase..the car has a ton of miles on it and somebody already replaced the radiator with a 2-row radiator...which stock was a 4-row.

danny
10-14-2007, 11:51 PM
somebody already replaced the radiator with a 2-row radiator...which stock was a 4-row.

welcome to the forum.

you don't think that by downsizing the radiator there could be a problem with the cooling system?

m1k3sthemannn
10-15-2007, 12:02 AM
welcome to the forum.

you don't think that by downsizing the radiator there could be a problem with the cooling system?

Not if the temperature stays in spec during operation! :)

partsgirl
10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
^^^..what he said....and thanks danny

justen
10-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Sometimes when there is air in the system that can't find a place to escape. The holes will suck shut like that if the engine cools down. Probably could fix it with a different radiator cap or run the engine with out a cap for a while hopefully the air gets out.

dawg
10-16-2007, 08:27 AM
does the car have a overflow tank?
the suction is supposed to suck back the antifreeze into the radiator.
providing your using the correct cap.

partsgirl
10-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Sometimes when there is air in the system that can't find a place to escape. The holes will suck shut like that if the engine cools down. Probably could fix it with a different radiator cap or run the engine with out a cap for a while hopefully the air gets out.

I ran it till it the t-stat opened 3 times then capped itafter the last time it puked,and ran the heater while doing it.

danny
10-16-2007, 07:33 PM
puked?? maybe there is another problem. maybe the radiator is too small or there is another problem that would cause an overheating situation causing the water to puke out. bad waterpump or maybe a bad head gasket or a crack somewhere.

justen
10-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Do you have any idea what thermostat you are running Is it a 192F degrees? Also if you have a manual temperature gauge, get a reading off the radiator.

partsgirl
10-17-2007, 06:18 AM
when I meant puke..I meant the last time the t-stat opened..it's not overheating at all.Replaced the cap and she seems good to go.

gearhead409
01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
put a cap on it and burp it. with the cap off start it up and let it warm up to temp @ idle with the heat on then rev it up a little you might have to do this 2 or 3 times to get it to burp 305 and 350 get a air pocket in the back of the heads and as soon as you drive they may burp on there own or they may not as far as the radiator if it had a 4 row stock and they put in a 2 row hi efficiency it should cool the same