PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Trucks

tccampbellclan
01-31-2006, 05:49 PM
What is the best way to enhance fuel economy with a new Ford diesel truck?

justen
01-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Thats easy. Put a chevy diesel in it.

Otherwise maybe a programmer/tuner may enhance fuel mileage a little bit.

Saltmine
01-31-2006, 07:05 PM
I donno, Justen. Those Powerstrokes get pretty good fuel mileage sitting in the back lot of the Ford dealer, waiting to be worked on. And they don't use ANY fuel while they're being towed.

Seriously, power programmer, larger exhaust system, propane injection will help fuel economy a little.... But, be aware of the fact that if you have a problem (and you will), and Ford sees that stuff on your truck, forget about any warranty.

carsandcycles
02-01-2006, 09:00 AM
This has been said on other posts, but still holds true, the best way to get better fuel mileage is to use the right foot as sparingly as practicle (and it doesn't cost a thing). Also remember, everytime you use your brakes, you have wasted energy. Now I don't avocate not braking when the situation requires but don't mash the accellerator knowing that you're going to have to stop at the next light two blocks away. And say, you know that you're going to make a turn in a couple hundred yards, and nobody is behind you, coast to the turn while decellerating and save that gas (and to a lesser extent your brake pads and tires).

FLH
02-01-2006, 07:14 PM
I get pretty good mileage with my 7.3 Liter Power Stroke Diesel. Mine is a 2003 Crew Cab with an eight foot bed and I get about 15 or 16 mpg in the city and can get real good mileage on the highway.

Saltmine
02-01-2006, 07:35 PM
One of my co-workers has an '04 Duramax..... Gets 18-20mpg city and 23-24mpg on the highway......

I don't think a 7.3L is a Powerstroke.... A Powerstroke is a 6.0L

One way you can tell if it's a 6.0L Powerstroke is let go of the steering wheel.... If it starts heading for the nearest Ford service department, it's a 6.0

FLH
02-01-2006, 08:07 PM
One way you can tell if it's a 6.0L Powerstroke is let go of the steering wheel.... If it starts heading for the nearest Ford service department, it's a 6.0

Before the 6.0 Liter came out, Fords had the 7.3 Liter Powerstroke Diesel. I think that the 7.3 Liter is really an International Engine but it is called a Powerstroke and runs very good. I've never floored it to the floor but if you press the pedal a little to pass, she has plenty of pickup and go. I like it!

I have 50,000 miles on my truck and have never had anything go wrong. It is perfect!

The 6.0 Liter is a Ford Engine and Ford did have some problems when they first came out, but it was a brand new engine. From what I've been told, all the bugs are worked out and the 6.0 has more pep than the 7.3 L. I've never driven one myself.

Porcupine
02-01-2006, 09:00 PM
This has been said on other posts, but still holds true, the best way to get better fuel mileage is to use the right foot as sparingly as practicle (and it doesn't cost a thing). Also remember, everytime you use your brakes, you have wasted energy. Now I don't avocate not braking when the situation requires but don't mash the accellerator knowing that you're going to have to stop at the next light two blocks away. And say, you know that you're going to make a turn in a couple hundred yards, and nobody is behind you, coast to the turn while decellerating and save that gas (and to a lesser extent your brake pads and tires).

I like what C&C has to say. I find today that too many people rushing here and there usually do so in a quick manor. So, while they're trying to get ahead in life's stream, they end up throwing out the anchors at the next set of lights. So, fuel was wasted from the start and then excessive braking used in the end. Pacing yourself can stretch your buck better than anything. Planning ahead can reduce the rushing aspect.

vmaxman
02-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Pacing yourself can stretch your buck better than anything. Planning ahead can reduce the rushing aspect.

and you can often hit all green lights further enhancing your mileage...tips everywhere! I'm going out right now to try it...too bad the nearest stoplight is 35 miles away...and there's only 1. Shoot, buggered up that plan! :confused:

danny
02-02-2006, 09:19 AM
and you can often hit all green lights further enhancing your mileage...tips everywhere! I'm going out right now to try it...too bad the nearest stoplight is 35 miles away...and there's only 1. Shoot, buggered up that plan! :confused:

the pitfalls of living in the wilderness-lol-:D

FieroSpeeder
02-02-2006, 09:39 AM
the pitfalls of living in the wilderness-lol-:D

Give it 10 years. There will be a walmart next door, parking lots, new homes, and a street light every two blocks.

vmaxman
02-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Not here...nearest WalMart is min 45 minutes away. Where I am...they aint expanding nothing. River too close, flood of 97 made investment into real estate an unlikely occurence. I get to live in a town of 800 (or less) for the rest of my life. Can't sell once you buy either - lots of seniors, all will eventually die, lots of houses for sale, no one buying. Nice thing is you can get an ATV, let your kids ride 'em and most times if they're not acting like jerks, the cops (if we have any more than the one left in town...think they all moved out) will let it go. Seeing as he lets his kid do it. Better that than B&E's to make the time pass, or just general mischief. Now that's what I call a reasonable officer of the law.

danny
02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
what's the chances of another flood?

KA9MOT
02-03-2006, 06:32 PM

Before the 6.0 Liter came out, Fords had the 7.3 Liter Powerstroke Diesel. I think that the 7.3 Liter is really an International Engine but it is called a Powerstroke and runs very good. I've never floored it to the floor but if you press the pedal a little to pass, she has plenty of pickup and go. I like it!

I have 50,000 miles on my truck and have never had anything go wrong. It is perfect!

The 6.0 Liter is a Ford Engine and Ford did have some problems when they first came out, but it was a brand new engine. From what I've been told, all the bugs are worked out and the 6.0 has more pep than the 7.3 L. I've never driven one myself.

FLH is correct. The 7.3 Powerstroke is commonly refered to as the Powerstroke while the 6.0 is often called the "Baby Stroke".

I think they are still having some fairly minor problems with the "baby stroke" but I know they are still having major head problems with the Duramax.

Something to do with the Iron block and Aluminum head sealing. <-----According to my buddy, Mr. GoodWrench.

Racerock
02-03-2006, 07:51 PM
what's the chances of another flood?

Probably 1 in 45 years.

Saltmine
02-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Thank you for the correction, FLH. We have had several 7.3 diesels in our fleet... good trucks, but they do tear up clutches....(yeah, the ones with the non-servicable $1000 flywheels)

The Road Department has a whole fleet of 6.0 Powerstrokes, now. It's a good thing they kept a few of the old 6.5 Chevy diesels, or they'd all be walking.

Yes, GM had problems with the early production run of DuraMax engines with the injector sleeves leaking combustion gasses into the cooling system. That was on the '02 and '03 engines. After the '03 model year, GM redesigned the cylinder head castings to change the "wet" injector sleeves to "dry" sleeves... problem solved
I've never heard of any block-to-head sealing problems on them, but the leaking "wet" injector sleeves have been mis-diagnosed as head gaskets.....many times.

BTW, Sorry to hear about your wreck. Nice Rig, though. Hope that nit-wit didn't do too much damage to it. The guy probably hired a bail bondsman, and got released on his OR that afternoon..... This WAS in California, right?

justen
02-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I heard a rumor, That all the light duty ford truck will be built by volvo, I guess ford bought volvo out. I heard this after the ford plants started shutting down. I also heard that the heavy duty trucks like the F350 and F450 will still be made by ford. If this is true or not I have no idea. It's just one of the mechanics at work told me.

Saltmine
02-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Volvo? Now that's rich. Now the Ford trucks won't only be slow, but a lot safer than they are used to be.

Muddywoman
02-06-2006, 03:07 AM
Thats easy. Put a chevy diesel in it.

Otherwise maybe a programmer/tuner may enhance fuel mileage a little bit.

LOL!!! Right on! :D

Seriously though, Justen is right as well as air intake, exhaust, and if you have money to burn - tranny upgrades!