Two Guys Garage Forum

Two Guys Garage Forum (http://www.twoguysgarage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Your Own Projects (http://www.twoguysgarage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Stop Leak Products (http://www.twoguysgarage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3499)

elbi_chorrea 04-16-2003 11:11 PM

Stop Leak Products

Have any of you guys had any success with them???, My brother just tried the Engine Stop Leak from STP and it did absolutely nothing.

danny 04-16-2003 11:15 PM

generally stop leak products are good for clogging the radiator and heater cores thus causing an overheating condition. it is better to get the problem fixed correctly and avoid costly problems down the road

Beefy's Bronco 04-17-2003 12:25 AM

Yup. What Danny said

ChevyS10 04-17-2003 12:38 AM

Stp

The best thing that STP stop leak or any stop leak is, There good for is a temporary fix, the leak will be back thats a guarantee. They can cause major damage to your motor, head or cooling system all together by clogging the ports.

oldagecars 04-18-2003 02:38 PM

I used some oil stop leak on a 1993 Chevy Lumina Z34 and it has drasticly slowed the oil leaks. ( Could have infact stopped it. ) The type I used was in a brown bottle from Wal-Mart.

elbi_chorrea 04-18-2003 10:26 PM

Do you know what brand it was??,,My car has a leak for like 8 months, the gasket has been changed 3 times and still no result, this is the most drastic meassure i'll take,,,If you remember what brand it was please tell me.

Gearhead52 04-19-2003 08:21 PM

elbi.......

You talkin' radiator stop leak or oil stop leak.......

Two entirerly different schools here......

Radiator stop leak is a organic material like pepper corn seed. As it gets wet it swells up in the gap slowing or stopping a SMALL leak. Too much and it settles in heater cores and radiators and plugs them. Does the same to the water jacket in the block too. Looks like vomit when flushed (sorry for the discription but it's a fact).

The oil stop leak is a chemical the softens the rubber seals and swells them enough to stop a leak, however, it is short term only. The soft seal material will fail that much quicker. Transmission fluid works well.

thecarguy 04-22-2003 12:43 AM

for power steering problems go get lucas oils power steering stop leak. I swear by it. look at my page to see why.

oldagecars 04-22-2003 11:55 AM

The engine oil stop leak I used is called:

No-leak
Premium
No Leak
Engine Sealer

for
DARK BROWN LEAKS

Safely Stops leaks
Avoids Expensive Repairs

Tri-Seal Technology

Satisfaction Guaranteed

Above is typed from the front lable. Oh ya, the bottle has 443mL (15 fl. oz.)

vetteonr 04-22-2003 02:34 PM

Does this work? How much is it? Where can it be found? :confused: :confused:

oldagecars 04-22-2003 03:41 PM

As I posted above, it is available at Wal-Mart, it was about $8 CAN, and it did work on a Chevy Lumina Z34 with oil leaks.

1fatcat 04-23-2003 12:17 AM

I disagree with anyone who advises using a "stop-leak" product of any kind! That crap is nothing more than a can of worms...meaning, once you open it and poor it in, you will have more problems than what you started with!

Cooling system stop-leak plugs leaks (yes) and plugs heater cores and radiators (definite YES)

Oil stop-leaks (engine, tranny, P/S) stops leaks by SWELLING SEALS! And in doing so, it destroys ALL the seals!!! So instead of having one bad seal, you now have dozens of seals that are swollen and on the verge of leaking!

You are much better off just biting the bullet and taking it in to have the one bad seal replaced! Or you can pour "Mechanic-in-a-can" into the leaking unit and destroy ALL of the seals in short time!

Stop leak is what crooked, have-no-morals, have-no-conscience, dirty-azz used car sales man use!

AKA...Scum of the Earth!

vetteonr 04-23-2003 09:42 AM

I agree with you fatcat. But dude, you've got to let it all out man. Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel! lol lol :D

oldagecars 04-23-2003 11:14 AM

If purchacing a car with a stop leak product in it, I'm sure I'd be mad. However when you have a 93 Lumina leaking oil all over your driveway with over 100 000 MILES on it, the no leak seems prety attractive. The engine should last for quite a while longer and it avoids a timely engine pull to replace all the shot seals. Perhaps you're rich and can afford such a procedure, but dude, I'd much rather pay the 8 bucks and get the most out of the engine.

thecarguy 04-25-2003 02:23 AM

What about alum-a-seal? Ive got an engine with a blown head gasket between one of the coolant passages and one of the cylinders. I was told that adding some alumaseal will stop the leak. Its a powder so it dosent sound like it woud clog anything in the cooling system.
Thoughts???

Beefy's Bronco 04-25-2003 02:29 AM

When ya add it to your cooling system it gets wet, turns into mud and clogs stuff up. That is not technically accurate but I simplified it for ya.

Head Gaskets are cheap

thecarguy 04-25-2003 06:04 PM

$200 at my discounted price directly from toyota. Should I look twards an aftermarket app. like fel pro?

Beefy's Bronco 04-25-2003 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by thecarguy
$200 at my discounted price directly from toyota. Should I look twards an aftermarket app. like fel pro?
Dang it. $200 dollars? Shoulda bought a Ford

LOL :D

elbi_chorrea 04-26-2003 11:15 PM

Don't listen to him,,keep your Toyota, the one characteristic that the Toyota brand has it's than does cars never die.

elbi_chorrea 04-26-2003 11:16 PM

Unlike Fords, and those C.

Beefy's Bronco 04-26-2003 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by elbi_chorrea
Unlike Fords, and those C.
Never mind, changed my mind and it wont let me delete.

carsandcycles 04-27-2003 08:10 AM

I don't care who makes it, American, German, Japanese, Korean, etc., you don't take care of it, it dies. I'll even go out on a limb and say some of our American stuff just hangs and hangs and keeps on going. (i.e. have your ever seen shows or magazines about the vintage '50s cars that Cuban and Mexican drivers have been using daily for over 50 years; not restored, just good old bubble gum and bailing wire engineering) I tip my hat to them, and alternately say America makes a darn good automobile!!

thecarguy 04-27-2003 12:06 PM

at 196,000 miles this is the first major repair besides a clutch at 180,000. Ended up getting an entire gasket kit from a mom and pop parts place for $215. Did most of it yesterday and will finish monday. Im leaving in an hour or so for Fontana!! Its alot better than doing a head gasket.

JonKraatz 04-28-2003 01:58 AM

Alum-a-seal works

I have used Alumaseal many times and it works on SMALL leaks. Won't stop the big ones and like others have said, too much of it will stop up the cooling passages.

By the way....... for anyone who doesn't like using stop leak in oil because of the seal conditioners .... don't use the newer high mileage formula motor oils like Max-Life, etc. etc. .. one of their primary ingredients are stop leak type seal conditioners and viscosity improvers like the old STP

gearhead748 05-05-2003 07:55 PM

stop leak

It is nothing more than a band aid. You are only putting off the repair. The longer you wate the more expenace you have later. this is even more so in a hi milage car I only use the felpro graphight head gaskets when I get one with allum. head's and cast iron block. dodge had a big problem with this in the mid 80's. As you know allum. and iron expand at differnt rate's. I have found that the fire ring gets stressed out and fails. when that happens you can stick a fork in it cause it's dun .when you do a head gasket don't forget the sea foam this will get the moisture out of the oil and the bottom end bearings( very inportant if you have a milkey color in the oil) I know, been there dun that