Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM

tacotalker is on a distinguished road
2006 E150 engine woes (possible swap?)

I have this 4.6L which magically blew a spark plug... Anyways, I re-tapped it as well as replaced the intake/exhaust valves in that cylinder. I put the cam shaft in the backwards (not correct revolution) position and now I have 2 cylinders with valves upside down THROUGH the tops of them... I have a neighbor who luckily (not for him) totaled his 2002 F150 last week but the engine still runs fine. I want to know if his 4.6L will go into mine. OR how about a lincoln 4.6L from a 2000. I ask because I am not position to purchase a jasper or any other kind of engine and I need this vehicle very soon... I would consider ripping the shot engine out and fixing it, but I don't have the time to re-build, I only have the day or so it would take to replace although if I wait much longer maybe I will have to completely re-build...

thoughts or suggestions please???!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks
Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Banned

dougbfresh is on a distinguished road
Think you need to put the wrenches away.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:25 PM

olddog is on a distinguished road
Emissions on an 02 most likely will not pass for an 06, if your state checks.

Since they are both truck engines, I suspect the swap would work. If the injectors are the same size, your trucks ECU will likely work, providing all the electrical plugs are the same.

There are two plants building the 4.6 ltr engines. They are not identical. Heads interchange but the bottom ends are a bit different.

If the Lincoln is a FWD, the block has a different bolt pattern, and no RWD transmission will bolt up to that block. Some Lincolns had 32 valve heads and DOHC. The truck would be a better match.

Check with a salvage yard. They usually have a parts cross reference book or know what can be done.

Last edited by olddog; 04-02-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 PM
OLD FART

KA9MOT is on a distinguished road
OH WOW!

Unfortunately, we learn by making mistakes......your mistakes are expensive. I would at least replace the head. Why did you take the cam out and replace the valves? There are some quality kits available to repair the spark plug problem with-out removing anything. A 30 minute fix, for less than $100. My local Ford dealer charges $200 per hole.

As a last resort, I would find a salvage lot engine with less miles and the same year. You can replace the engine with-out removing the cab, but it is much easier. I've been working on my own cars for 35 years and I would not attempt swapping the engine in your truck. Hire somebody with the know-how and correct tools and equipment.

I would not consider this a do-it-yourself kind of project for the average home mechanic......Whatever way you choose, this is going to cost you thousands of dollars. I'd replace the head.

Last edited by KA9MOT; 04-10-2012 at 08:19 PM.