Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 AM

z28camaro is on a distinguished road
need help bad

ok so i can not figure out why my carb keeps doing this i've asked for help all over the place an no one can seem to help me out the fuel is overflowing from the top of my carter carb when i give it gas an where its over flowing there are no gaskets or o-rings that go there???????? its the only thing from keep me drive my car an its bugging me that i cant figure it out i put a video up on youtube of it an still nothing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGhc6B-cUOo
Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned

dougbfresh is on a distinguished road
What's your FUEL PRESSURE? Your fuel pressure is either too high or your float is not set correctly (or BOTH).
Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 PM

not to sure the car was set up for racing but sat a few years cause needed to fuel tank an fuel pump witch i put in it i have a fuel pressure regulator on it but no gauge attached to it to tell me the pressure im running how would i adjust the float on it ?
i've taken the carb apart a couple times and nothing seems to be sticking or out of place it's messing with me .
Old 05-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

Get a guage on it NOW, 5-7 psi is all that's needed for a street carb. Bet you can lookup the float adjustment on your OWN (try GOOGLE). If you've taken it apart a couple of time, do you even have a manual for the carb?

For instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qgBfgz1rz8

Last edited by dougbfresh; 05-04-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:18 PM

no manual for carb but i do know its a carter carb 9635s i gonna go to advanced today see if they got a gauge doubt it tho cause this advanced here suxs
Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Well you might want to pick up a manual for that carb if your staying with that one. Should be some on Fleabay.

http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/200...uild_Guide.pdf page 3 is float adjustment.

Last edited by dougbfresh; 05-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM

olddog is on a distinguished road
Agree with Doug - Get a gauge on it and see what the fuel pressure is.

I am suspecting the fuel pump you put in it is designed for fuel injection, which would be way too much pressure.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 AM

thanks for the help will write back when i can get my hands on the gauge for a update i think its pushing to much pressure cause i bought the tank an fuel pump off a guy for $100 an i think he was running fuel injection an not carb thanks again
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM

thcardoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro View Post
thanks for the help will write back when i can get my hands on the gauge for a update i think its pushing to much pressure cause i bought the tank an fuel pump off a guy for $100 an i think he was running fuel injection an not carb thanks again
Watching your video, it's clearly an uncommon problem. I suspect that is fuel spray when the needle valve is open as opposed to being an incorrect fuel level. There were some carb designs that had shielding (baffling) to direct the fuel as it is flowing through the seat into the bowl that could allow for spraying in the bowl to be an issue if someone failed to re-install one during a repair.

Sometimes people assume pressure and volume are totally dependent on each other. You could be running 5-7psi dead head pressure (no flow) but also capable of maintaining 3-5psi while your flowing one or two quarts of fuel a minute (with a restriction). Get both fuel pressure, and fuel pressure plus volume measurements and post them up.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

I seem to recall the 83 Z28 had the crossfire injection setup that was in the 82' Vette-I'm ASSUMING your not using the same intank pump as that setup for your carb???
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM

yes it did have that but now its carb i think the pump in the tank is for injection an not carb so would i have to run all new lines an cap off the tank an put a mechanical one on?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
yes it did have that but now its carb i think the pump in the tank is for injection an not carb so would i have to run all new lines an cap off the tank an put a mechanical one on?
MAYBE, many FI fuel setups have a RETURN line to the tank too, and the pressures/volumes are higher for FI setups. A fuel regulator might make it work if you don't need a return line but chances are your problem is that pump/pressure but since you did this with NO GUAGE, all we can do is guess. SO you basically hooked up a high pressure system with NO WAY TO TELL WHAT THE PRESSURE IS to a carb requiring 5-7 psi-WONDER WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE????

I see your in Maryland too, you better check with the DMV there, I seem to recall they were a Pain in the *****. This car MIGHT have to pass emissions for a 1983 Z28 in STOCK form, bet yours won't come close.

Last edited by dougbfresh; 05-07-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM

the car is already tag an title mva wasnt a problem no emissions test an no state inspection easy there but im gonna get my hands on a gauge i already have a regulator on it just need the gauge to hook up
Old 05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Banned

Does the fuel setup you put in require a fuel return line too?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
the car is already tag an title mva wasnt a problem no emissions test an no state inspection easy there but im gonna get my hands on a gauge i already have a regulator on it just need the gauge to hook up
When I lived in Gaithersburg, I seem to recall the emission and safety inspections were a real PAIN.

Tags
camaro, carb, carter, fuel, leaking