Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Gosudizayn is on a distinguished road
Chip to get more hp

Guys i want to know what u guys think about use chip to get more hp

thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 12:20 PM

carsandcycles is on a distinguished road
You have to ask yourself quite a few questions first; what application, what are you trying to accomplish, do you care about economy or power, etc. Then there's a few question that we might need to know; what vehicle, what engine, and again, what are you trying to accomplish?

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Penn., 1759.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM

olddog is on a distinguished road
Are we talking a diesel truck, or a modern car with gasoline EFI engine?

Yes a chip can make more power. On a diesel, at the expense of emissions and wear on the fuel pressure system. On a gasoline engine, at the risk of detonation and poor emissions.

Gasoline: Factory tends to be conservative on risking an engine they warranty. So at wide open throttle they target too much fuel and not enough timing. They give up a little horsepower, but reduce the risk for detonation. You might pick up 10% or so on the Hp. Your not going to make huge gains. A given engine is only capable of making X Hp if the tuning (fuel and timing) is perfect. The factory gives higher priority to emission, engine life, and fuel mileage, than they do maximum power. However they do not miss maximum power by very much.

If you want to make big gains in power (the ones you can feel in the seat of your pants), you have to make physical changes to the engine. It take fuel to make power, and you have to have enough air to burn the fuel. Bottom line your engine has to pump significantly more air to make significantly more power.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
OLD FART

KA9MOT is on a distinguished road
And avoid those eBay chips.....they are junk.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsandcycles View Post
You have to ask yourself quite a few questions first; what application, what are you trying to accomplish, do you care about economy or power, etc. Then there's a few question that we might need to know; what vehicle, what engine, and again, what are you trying to accomplish?
sure i will tell details

my car is vw tiguan 4x2 bluemotion 150 hp

my goal to get more performans when i need
also drive more economic when necessary
basicly i want chip to drive economic and sport better

is it worth ? are u suggest ? and how it is gonna be on my car

thanks guys
Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 AM

and my car is TSI with 2 turbo and gasoline engine
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Banned

dougbfresh is on a distinguished road
Most modern cars do NOT have remove PROMS anymore, all tuning is done via the OBD II port. Many of these cheapy "chips" piggyback on other things like the TPS to mimick operating parameters to trick the ECM. Stay away from these-generall useless or worse, can cause damage.

If you have a Forced Induction car, you should be tuning on a dyno while monitoring Air/fuel ratio in order not to run lean.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 PM

I no nothing about your car and never talked to anyone who has modified one.

150 Hp seems quite low for the complexity of two turbos, even on a 4 cylinder engine.

If I were you, I would try to find a group of people who may race that engine, if they exist. It may be worth contacting VW, as they may sell performance parts like Ford does. If there is no one out there hot rodding this engine, there has to be a reason.

Generally speaking, all you have to do is turn the boost pressure up to make more power. The problem is that you have to be able to supply the needed fuel. Often times you have to replace everything from the fuel pump to the injectors. You also have to have the right sensors and ECU to control it all. If you can keep the air charge temp down (heat exchanger) you can push 3 atmospheres or more, if the valve springs can close the valves. You could make 400 Hp, but can the engine stay together? It may be weak and only stand up to 200 Hp.

Honestly it is almost always easier and cheaper to just sell it and go by something that is designed to do what you want. May not be as much fun, but it sure is easier.

Last edited by olddog; 05-15-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:30 PM

I no nothing about your car and never talked to anyone who has modified one.

150 Hp seems quite low for the complexity of two turbos, even on a 4 cylinder engine.

If I were you, I would try to find a group of people who may race that engine, if they exist. It may be worth contacting VW, as they may sell performance parts like Ford does. If there is no one out there hot rodding this engine, there has to be a reason.

Generally speaking, all you have to do is turn the boost pressure up to make more power. The problem is that you have to be able to supply the need fuel. Often times you have to replace everything from the fuel pump to the injectors. You also have to have the right sensors and ECU to control it all. If you can keep the air charge temp down (heat exchanger) you can push 3 atmospheres or more, if the valve springs can close the valves. You could make 400 Hp, but can the engine stay together? It may be week and only stand up to 200 Hp.

Honestly it is almost always easier and cheaper to just sell it and go by something that is designed to do what you want. May not be as much fun, but is sure is easier.