Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 10-25-2007, 08:56 AM

spider_mun is on a distinguished road
2002 Bravada stuck in AWD?

I just took my 2002 Bravada to the dealer, my wife was saying it was steering funny, they check the fluid in the sealed tranfer case, and it was low, they topped it up, ran some diagnostocs, found no issues electrically, but they say it is still in AWD, and the transfer case requires removal and inspection, possibly repair, estimated at close to $3500.00. This vehicle is only 5 years old? I can't believe the transfer case is bad, I have a 20 year old jeep, still on orginal transfer case, is GM products that cheap?

I told them to leave it, I will live with AWD.

Any other help in the smarttrac (joke) system they use to diagnose would be appriciated.

Note for sale 2002 Bravada AWD.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:55 AM
chevy enthusiast

danny is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum.

doesn't awd mean all wheel drive? is there a time when the awd doesn't work? don't confuse awd with 4wd as 4wd is a lock in system(manually). the transfer case could be malfunctioning on your bravada but it might be a good idea to get another opinion as to why there is a problem. ask around for a good shop to get it inspected, there may be a simple fix that doesn't require the replacement of the transfer case.
when you drive a ford you need a whole set of good wrenches-lol-
jack bauer for president
Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 AM

2002 Bravada AWD

Yes you are correct does not AWD mean the front axels are always engaged?and the "smarttrac" uses the ABS sensors to determine when to add more drive to either front or rear, or am I wrong? I am finding a lot of dealers, not only GM, but others seems to take it for granted that we have tons of money to put into our vehicles, The bravada in Canada was $48K, but I have had a lot of problems with it. When I get the truck home I will look at it, still at dealer getting some rear damange fixed, (wife had a tussel with a hay wagon last week.) I noticed some transfer case motors from Dorman, $253.00, anything on these?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Diesel Nut

justen is on a distinguished road
Awd Is full-time 4wd. There is no 2wd with a setup like that. If it's steering funny. I would look at the front steering, The bearings, The cv-joints, the brakes and ABS could also cause trouble. And front differential. Bravada's always have some trouble with ABS and the smart-trac engaging when it shouldn't. Something to look into.

Last edited by justen; 10-25-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:17 PM

Awd

That makes more sense to me, as the truck is running good, other then the typical electrical ghosts running through it. If the computer comes up clean, why would they suspect the transfer case? I will put it to the test when I get the truck back, driving a loaner right now till body work done.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Diesel Nut

I would first suspect the abs, Sometimes when it engages the smart-trac, when one tire spins faster then the other (turning) then you get a funny steering or the 4x4 rocking motion. Abs is really a hard thing to track down sometimes. And usually the computer will not see a problem with it unless a sensor has completely stop working. What could be the problem. And I'm just guessing. I'd guess the front wheel sensors are dirty. And probably need to be pulled out and cleaned with a round wheel steel brush. And then put back in. That may fix your smart-trac-abs system from turning on when it shouldn't.

The way smart-trac works. When one tire spins faster then the other. The sensors picks up the speed of the wheel spinning. The wheel that is spinning fastest. It will apply the smart-trac (brake) to the wheel spinning fastest. By locking/braking the wheel that is spinning the fastest. Will transfer the power to the wheel that is not spinning. Giving you more traction. My guess one or both sensors are not getting a good clear reading. And So try cleaning them once. It's probably a job you can do yourself. What I like to use is either a steel wheel brush on a grinder. Or on a little dremel. Good Luck!

On a side note about the transfer case. If it was making clunking and slipping noises then I would also suspect the transfer case. Sounds to me they are guessing. Guessing costs money. Especially if thats not the problem. Transfer cases on awd can wear out. But usually it's not a steering problem. It's a problem you find out one day trying to back out of the snow and only the back tires spin. Also sometimes, The transfer case will get stuck in 4wd Low. Then yes it's something wrong with the transfer case. I hope you figure out the trouble. Take care.

Last edited by justen; 10-26-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 AM

Questioned Answered

I spoke to a close friend, he works for a major GM dealer in my area, came over on the weekend, and we discussed the Bravada, he says the Bravada is a simple 1 speed transfer case, that has a senor, attached to a transfercase motor, that when the sensor detects a difference in the speed of the rear drive shaft from the front drive shaft, it will apply torque to the front shaft as needed. There is a TSB on this, and it recommends one or both fixes, check tires, and or replace transfer case motor sensor and gasket. He did not work on my truck, but asked the mechanic who did look at it, if there was any problems with the transfer case (noise, clunking) and there is no noise, so they are just going to replace the sensor and gasket, and I will get new tires. He is not sure why I was called and was told the transfer case had to be removedf to inspect, based on the orginal complaint by my wife, as it clearly fell into the TSB issued by GM.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Diesel Nut

Yes there is a speed sensor for each wheel and one on the transmission.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:24 AM

CarolynK is on a distinguished road
did you resolve the problem, I am having the same headache.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:18 PM
polokid

there is also anouther tsb which i have found to fix the issue, you flush the t case with auto trax fliud. you need 4 qts. drain and fill your tcase, drive the vehilce a while then drain and fill it again. what happens the fliud gets dirty and causes the t case to bind while turning and will cause a lurching/ jumping feel. try this and see if it helps.