Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 09-26-2008, 11:18 AM

jacquez is on a distinguished road
93 Chevy Lumina: enging id & ICM ...

The mechanic figured out that the problem with my car is that the ignition control module is bad and needs to be replaced. He also said that the part alone is $300 and, being cheap or whatever, I checked online and have seen some over $100 cheaper. Perhaps he is marking up the price, I don't know ... but I also don't know my engine type so I'm not 100% sure of the prices I'm finding. How can I be sure what size/type engine I have? The car/engine isn't really available to be looked at so another method would be great. I have the VIN. Can I know from that? It's a 4-door '93. I have these options from various car parts sites:

AutoZone
4 Cylinders 4 2.2L SFI OHV
6 Cylinders T 3.1L MFI OHV
6 Cylinders W 3.1L Flex Fuel
6 Cylinders X 3.4L SFI DOHC

O'Reilly Auto Parts
4-134 2.2L OHV
V6-191 3.1L

Advance Auto Parts
Engine-----------Engine Details
L4 2.2 Liter FI----LN2 133 CID VIN 4
V6 3.1 Liter FI----189 CID VIN T O.H.V.
V6 3.1 Liter FI----189 CID VIN W

All those look like gibberish to me. I know V6 refers to 6 cylinders, but that's about it. The mechanic mentioned that my car is a V6 when talking about my oil leaks, and I may sound dumb but I had no idea it was a V6. Never really paid attention I guess. The most I've done under the hood with it for the last year (about how long I've had it) was refill fluids.

Aside from the fact that I don't know my vehicle's specifications ... Is the ignition control module replacement as easy as it looks? I've looked at a few sites and looks like all you need to do is remove the spark plugs and replace the old ICM with the new one and put the spark plugs back. I'm not sure if this info is vehicle specific, though, but I do have a torque wrench and some other more standard tools ('standard' is just my opinion, of course, and I mean wrenches and sockets and pliers). Does spark plug removal require a special tool? I think I've heard that it does before, but I'm not sure.

Well, clearly I'm an amateur in the realm of automobiles, but I thank you for reading through if you made it this far. Since it's so long, I highlighted the actual questions. If I missed an important detail, ask and I will answer.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned

dougbfresh is on a distinguished road
I have one I'll sell you cheap from my wife's 91' Grand Prix with the 3.1. Takes about 5 minutes to change. You do not need to pull the plugs, only the wires off the ignition coils. The module is below those coils.

SO, you pull the wires off the coil(s), pull the coils, then remove the module. Simple. Open the hood of the car, if it says 3100 on the top, you have the 3.1. What's the problem your having w/ the car? I've had several 3100's now and have seen most of their "issues" (like the oil leak from the old distributor plug and the leaking intake manifold gasket).

Last edited by dougbfresh; 09-26-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM

The problem, at it's most basic, is that it's not starting. I was driving (several days ago) and the tension in the gas pedal went lax, the car started to slow down, and pressing on the gas pedal did not cause the car to accelerate at all. I pulled off the road and turned off the car thinking that it might help, but it wouldn't start again. Now it's at the mechanic's shop, so getting to the hood isn't so simple. Sounds pretty easy and like it could be a lot cheaper than the $650-ish cost (including diagnostic work and the part and labor that haven't been done yet). But what would a mechanic think about someone fixing their own car in their lot?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

I'm sure he would not like you fixing in his lot and I'm sure your going to pay for the diagnostics anyway.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Oh, I know I'll pay the diagnostics and towing regardless ... and didn't think he'd be happy about me working in his lot ... oh well ...
Old 09-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

Seems to me a 15 year old Lumina is probably not worth much. May as well have him fix it now.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Diesel Nut

justen is on a distinguished road
Chevy lumina didn't have a 3.4 in 1993, But there was a couple in 1994. The engine was not used widely. The most common lumina was the 3.1 and followed after that was the 2.2L L4 133cid 4 cylinder.

There was two 3.1 v6's made
3.1 vin W is a flex fuel engine which means you would have a yellow gas cap.
3.1 vin T which is regular unleaded gas, with a black gas cap.

Both 3.1's are identical except for the fuel injection system, computer, fuel pump and sensors.

Ignition control module on the 3.1 vin W and vin T are absolutely identical. Same part number.
A new one can be as low as $70 on rockauto.com. price ranges $70 to $164 for a new ICM.

A new control module can be replaced easy, with basic tools. Couple screws and unplug some wires. Reverse to install a new one.

If doug is giving you one for cheap it is the samething as the 3.1 grand prix.

Last edited by justen; 09-26-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:29 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback - I've decided to replace it myself. My concern about my inexperience isn't as strong as my concern about the cost of the mechanic doing the repairs. I can figure it all out and I have a few days before I'll get it towed back home so that's a few days of obsessing over research on the topic. It's just my way of calming the concern about my inexperience and it served me well when installing my stereo and speakers. Just want to get it home and make sure it's a 3.1! Thanks again! And the explanation about engines was very helpful!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Banned

I think I still have the manual for that vintage GM W body cars.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 PM

TKBubba is on a distinguished road
If Chevy Lumina did not have 3.4 engines in 1993 - what is the engine in the 1993 Lumina z34?

[QUOTE=justen;109628]Chevy lumina didn't have a 3.4 in 1993, But there was a couple in 1994. The engine was not used widely. The most common lumina was the 3.1 and followed after that was the 2.2L L4 133cid 4 cylinder.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 AM

uzpeeep is on a distinguished road
Incorrect info given. I own and drive a Chevy lumina z34 1993yr AND IT HASS A 3.4L DOHC EENGINE. only 0.06% of lumoinas had it that yr