Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Techno Destruct is on a distinguished road
1977 F150 351 m 2b carb troubles

Hello People, Ok I have as the title states a 1977 ford f150 with the original 351 m 5.8l (only 27000 miles) in it. It has the original 2 barrel motorcraft carb.
I just rebuilt the carb and made sure that every passage was clear and everything on it was tip top shape.
I installed it and it does start. But when I adjust the air/fuel screws, the right screw does nothing. I can screw it all the way in and it changes nothing.. I can screw it ALL the way out and it does nothing. The left screw does adjust but I have to have it out quite a few turns to keep it running, yet if i toss it in to any gear it wants to die unless i rev it. Any help and or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:14 PM

olddog is on a distinguished road
If the idle screw has the throttle plate too far open, the idle circuit is not used. That would cause the idle mixture screws to have no affect as you described.

Assuming that is the case, you need to figure out why you are having to turn the idle up so far. I think it should have ported vacuum going to the vacuum advance. If the timing is to low it could cause this. Perhaps the vacuum lines are not correct. Also if the fuel mixture is not correct is could cause it too.

How did it run before you rebuilt the carb?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Proud American

Daniel Wood is on a distinguished road
First, a two-part question. Did you soak the carburetor in a solution and if you did, how long? The carburetor needs to soak at least 2 1/2 hours to make sure that it's good and clean and then rinse it out with water really good and blow it dry with air. One of the problems that people have is that they don't remove the gets while cleaning.

I'm not a firm believer in just spraying carburetor cleaner through the passageways and believe that's okay, some may argue with that. JMO

Did you check the throttle body to see if the throttle shaft could be moved up and down or sideways? If it has any slack at all, your sucking way to much vacuum and that's why you can't adjust your air fuel mixture.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:40 PM

Techno Destruct is on a distinguished road
I took it off the truck because the accelerator pump assembly was seized right up and I was having a problem with the main gasket ( the one that the carb sits on for engine mounting) It would start only if I poured a bit of gas in it. Also the truck would bog when I would first start off. So I figured while it was off, why not do a whole rebuild. But before the gasket started leaking and before the pump assembly seized the truck ran great.

TO answer the other questions, Yes I soaked the carburetor for a full 24 hours and emptied 2 cans of cleaner through it as well after soaking. The throttle seems to not have any slack at all.
My idle screw is turned in quite a bit. ( pretty much all the way ) I did this because I set it exactly back to where it was before the rebuild. Maybe if I back it out and set the mixture screws back to manufacture placement. Then start the tuning all over again? How many turns should the idle screw be in?
Thanks for all the responses. I was down to just staring at it and thinking I should beat it with a hammer
Old 06-13-2011, 02:39 AM
OLD FART

KA9MOT is on a distinguished road
Your carb kit will tell you how to adjust the idle mixture screws initially. Usually you bottom them out and then open them 1 and 1/2 turns. Then use a Vacuum gauge to set them correctly.

All of the answers above are correct for you.

A note: Your truck either has the 351 Windsor or the 351M or 351 Modified (351 Windsor Block with Cleveland 2 barrel heads). You do not have a 5.8l. That term was given to the later 351 Windsor and there are several differences between the 1977 351W and the 5.8L depending on year. You need to determine which engine you have.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM

The 351M is a Cleveland family block, but with a big block bell housing pattern on the back. I think it is the FE (331, 351, 360, 390, 428, etc) bell housing pattern.

If it ran good before you rebuilt it, and now it doesn't, there is a good chance you did something wrong. If there was more than one gasket to choose from, maybe you chose the wrong one. A wrong sized ball and spring or in the wrong spot. There sure are a lot of things that is so easy to get wrong. Now that my short term memory is failing, wouldn't start on a carb without some one snapping a billion pictures as I disassembled it. With Digital Camera it doesn't cost anything to do. Yea I know - now I tell you.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 PM
OLD FART

The 351C/M and 400 were called the intermediate block or 335 Series.

More info on all Ford V8 engines here:

http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2233
Old 06-13-2011, 06:59 PM

Yes it confirms the 351M is a Cleveland family block. It is not a Windsor block with Cleveland heads (which was a common hot rod trick called a Clevore - never sold by Ford).

The web site you posted said there is very little difference between the 351M and 400M. I do recall that the 400M has the same deck height as the 385 Series (429, 460). I did not think the 351M had the tall deck height, but I'm not certain.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Yes it confirms the 351M is a Cleveland family block. It is not a Windsor block with Cleveland heads (which was a common hot rod trick called a Clevore - never sold by Ford).

The web site you posted said there is very little difference between the 351M and 400M. I do recall that the 400M has the same deck height as the 385 Series (429, 460). I did not think the 351M had the tall deck height, but I'm not certain.
Ahh Clevor! That's right. I've forgotten much of this stuff.

the 302 and 351W have different deck hights. The 351W is .900 (If I remember correctly) higher, yet they are the same family.

I'm gonna have to do some research to refresh my memory as too what the 351M was......... Maybe Cleveland with Windsor heads? I do know there was a difference between the 351 Cleveland and the 351M that made the Cleveland much more desirable.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM

I have been tucking specs in a spread sheet as I find reliable information. I don't have much on the 351M. The block may be heavier, and I know it does bolt up to a truck trany. It does use the canted 2V Cleveland heads. It was cammed for low rpm torque.

90 V small blocks deck height is 8.206. The Windsor is 9.480 (there was a year or two that it was a few thousands shorter). The 351C deck is 9.213, and I don't have the 351M
Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM
OLD FART

I recently watched a show on TV about this junk yard that restores cars...I can't remember the name of the show, but it sucked. The kicker for me was when they robbed a 351M out of a 1977 Ranchero and claimed it was Ford's Hot Rod that made 350 plus HP. What a joke!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:20 PM
OLD FART

Desert Car Kings...That was the name. I just remembered. And I found the episode:

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/dese...de-to-galaxie/

Check out the moron built exhaust system right before the Auction.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 PM

I seriously doubt Ford put the 351M into a Ranchero - only seen them in trucks (Ranchero is a car). Many stupid statements. The 390 FE belongs in a Galaxy. The 351M parts do not swap with other stuff, and it certainly was not noted for high performance. They should be ecstatic they got over 6K for it. I wouldn't give them 1K.

I am constantly amazed how many idiots there are in this world who make more money than me. I obviously did not have big enough balls to take the risks necessary to score big. I always took the secure road.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 AM
OLD FART

My 1976 Gran Torino wagon had a 351M in it.

You just have to wonder how much Reality is in Reality TV. Not much I'm thinking.