Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 PM
BuickMuscle

BuickMuscle is on a distinguished road
97 buick lesabre rwd v8 conversion

I currently have a 1997 Buick LeSabre custom and I want to make it a rough and tough muscle car, I know it wont come cheap. First off, is it possible to take the front differential out and put in a rear differential and axles from another GM vehicle? My dad told me it would be possible If I could find a rear axle that fits, the Buick is pretty big so I could probably find a rear axle with differential and driveshaft easily. Will I need to change the transmission in order for the driveshaft to fit? Also I know I can't fit a heavy 455 wildcat in but I need suggestions, I was thinking a 3.8 supercharger would work fine that way It would perfectly fit the trans and engine bay, but a v8 is a requirement for a true muscle. Thanks for help if anyone could enlighten me.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Banned

dougbfresh is on a distinguished road
Get a new plan. Do you have ANY fabrication skills? This is a front drive car with NO frame-you'll basically have to build a new car and set the body on it.

Get an Impala SS-it came with a V8 and a Frame if you want a SuperTanker with a V8.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM
BuickMuscle

So basically I'll end up with an Impala that looks like a LeSabre?
Can I at least make the LeSabre rwd? After I get the rear axle, front diff, and tranny out, I can take those and a rear diff and driveshaft out of something along the lines of an Impala or road master, and fit them on, shouldn't it be RWD?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickMuscle View Post
So basically I'll end up with an Impala that looks like a LeSabre?
Can I at least make the LeSabre rwd? After I get the rear axle, front diff, and tranny out, I can take those and a rear diff and driveshaft out of something along the lines of an Impala or road master, and fit them on, shouldn't it be RWD?
This is a silly idea unless your willing to put TONS of time and $$$ into it. You'd have to craft a frame, cut the floor out to build a trans tunnel, fab motor/trans mounts, cooling system will have to be upgraded,....

Get the Impala!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:27 AM
BuickMuscle

It can't be more then 10 grand, it'll be my project, I've got a buddy who owns a mechanic shop, I could use his help and his shop to do it, its not impossible, the was a rwd GTP that ran 11-12 on the strip.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
It can't be more then 10 grand, it'll be my project, I've got a buddy who owns a mechanic shop, I could use his help and his shop to do it, its not impossible, the was a rwd GTP that ran 11-12 on the strip.
Never said it was impossible-just silly. You can get a NICE Impala SS for that kind of $$ and drive it tomorrow instead of hacking up some Buick and ending up buring $10K in a giant junkpile.

Wonder what your buddy will think of this, especially if it sits in one of his bays for months.

GM had a V8, RWD Grand Prix at the end of the model run in 08-get one of those and put that ugly Buick body on it-1000 times easier than what you want to do.

Last edited by dougbfresh; 07-25-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:39 AM
BuickMuscle

I have sentimental value in the car, I got it from my dad and I'm a big fan of old Buick muscle cars, I know I could get an Impala, but I genuinely hate Impala's. I also like this version of the LeSabre, you don't have to understand why, you can just watch this sleeper kill at the drag strips
Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have sentimental value in the car, I got it from my dad and I'm a big fan of old Buick muscle cars, I know I could get an Impala, but I genuinely hate Impala's. I also like this version of the LeSabre, you don't have to understand why, you can just watch this sleeper kill at the drag strips
Let us know how the "Nightmare" turns out for you Get an old Stage I Buick instead of a turd with 4 doors.

Last edited by dougbfresh; 07-25-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:44 AM
BuickMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbfresh View Post
Let us know how the "Nightmare" turns out for you Get an old Stage I Buick instead of a turd with 4 doors.
Hey, I mean at least its not an Olds or a Fiero haha
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM
OLD FART

KA9MOT is on a distinguished road
I've had a couple of Olds that were awesome and loads of fun. My buddy Danny had a Fiero that I used to laugh at...until I drove it.

And uhhhh, By the way, The 455 only weighs about 50 pounds more then a small block Chevy and will usually fit in the same hole.

Last edited by KA9MOT; 07-25-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey, I mean at least its not an Olds or a Fiero haha
There are kits to do a V8 in a Fiero-it'll spank a lot of cars with a 400+hp V8 in it!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9MOT View Post
I've had a couple of Olds that were awesome and loads of fun. My buddy Danny had a Fiero that I used to laugh at...until I drove it.

And uhhhh, By the way, The 455 only weighs about 50 pounds more then a small block Chevy and will usually fit in the same hole.
Put a 455 in that Buick with no frame in the middle would be quite AMUSING! Almost every system would have to be hacked/engineered to put a V8 RWD drivetrain in that car-even more complicated if he wanted it street legal.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 PM
OLD FART

I'm not disagreeing. I'm pointing out the truth about that big old heavy 455 as mention by the OP.

That said, I am agreeing that while possible to do as the OP would like to do, it would be cost, time and skill intensive.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:40 PM
OLD FART

A cool, late model Buick in that age range and is RWD that would be easy to build would be a RoadMaster Wagon. There is a guy who has several. One with a Supercharged OLDS 455 that screams.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA9MOT View Post
A cool, late model Buick in that age range and is RWD that would be easy to build would be a RoadMaster Wagon. There is a guy who has several. One with a Supercharged OLDS 455 that screams.
Yes, that was RWD already and had a massive frame. He's trying to take a puny Unibody car and do this-should be amusing if he tries.

Last edited by dougbfresh; 07-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.