Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 04-21-2002, 10:23 AM
Lyn Sievers

1990 Lincoln town car fuel problems

The car was driven home. It sat for one hour then wouldn't start.
The fuel pump wasn't making a noise anymore.
I put in a new fuel pump. This didn't help it still wouldn't work.
I put in a new fuel pump relay and this didn't help either.
I checked the eneritia switch in the trunk. It is reset with the button down. Seems ok.
I checked for voltage down at the tank. When i switch the key on I don't get voltage like I should. Usually It gives 12 volts for 2 seconds then quits.
I checked all the fuses. They were all ok.
I have a Haynes manual. It shows A different relay system than I have on this one. This one lookes more like the one for the 4.6 engine.

anyone with some suggestions??

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:34 PM

pokey484 is on a distinguished road
Look for a power source under the fuel pump relay..I've personally done this and jumped a wire to be hot when key is on and off when key is off.. My 92 town car is in this frustrating position .. It's been 4 months now and haven't had any probs.. I'm guessing the fix lies in the ignition circuit but where..
Old 04-24-2002, 10:41 AM

77T-AM is on a distinguished road
Lyn,
Make sure you have 12-12.6 volts in your battery first. Then check for this same voltage at the relay(fuel) plus or minus 1 volt when you turn the key on. If for some reason there is not sufficent voltage the relays won't energize.If you have to bypass the relay using a wire then that tells you that there is either a bad ground or not enough power getting to the relay. Try this and post a reply before I go further.
Old 04-25-2002, 04:57 AM
Lyn Sievers

Thanks for your good suggestions. I will have time this weekend to work on this problem. I will let you know if I get it running.
Thankyou again. Lyn
Old 04-27-2002, 06:55 AM
Lyn Sievers

My son has a friend that is an auto mechanic student at the local junior college. They were going to figure out what the problem was with the fuel system. They worked 2 hours on Wednesday night and 2 hours on it Thursday night. They had the fuse box under the hood by the battery apart, the fuse box under the dash open, The back seat out, the trunk carpet up by the spare tire out. They were going to work on it some more on Friday night. They were getting more detailed wiring diagrams.
I needed the car Friday so I deceided to rig it. Since they had everything out already I figured it would be easy to rig. I went to Wal-Mart and bought some red and black 16 guage automotive wire,some electrical tape and wire nuts. I went home and got out my side cutters and went to work rigging. I got under the car and cut the wires at the fuel pump. I stripped them and spliced the red wire to the red and the black wire to the black. I then popped the hood and placed the red on the positive terminal and the black on the negative terminal. The fuel pump started running. I then started the car. I knew it would work now.
I then took an old cigarette lighter air compressor and cut the cord off of it and stripped the wires back. I didn't know where the boys had my voltage meter so I could tell which wire was the positive. I left the black wire on the battery under the hood and took the red wire to touch the wires on the cigarette lighter plug. I found the positive wire this way when I heard the fuel pump run. I then put a wire nut on it and taped it up. I took the negative wire and taped it to the other wire on the cigarette wire plug. I ran the wire up the hole in the trunk through the back seat opening up to the cigarette lighter. Now I plug the fuel pump in and start the car. Then I pull the plug out to stop the car.
I told the boys I learned this from Macgyver. We all had a laugh.
The fuel gauge doesn't work since the sending unit wires were cut also. We will fix it right later and tell you what was wrong.