Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 09-20-2002, 06:43 PM

miatasc is on a distinguished road
Alternater running 18 volt output

The alternater in my 99 miata is putting out 18 volts. The problem started when I installed the supercharger. Non of the install was alternater related. Installed a new alternater and still having the same problem. HELP!
Old 09-20-2002, 07:23 PM

rapideo is on a distinguished road
Do you have a seperate regulator? It worked for me to clean the contacs on the plugin. Had a serious overcharge on an 84 Dodge
that the speciality shop experts couldnt fix, just parts changers,like your alternater change didnt help,it didnt help for me either. Spent a lot of money on those dummys, and the fix was free. If your reg is built into the alt then none of this will help
Old 09-21-2002, 12:00 AM
supernova

you will have to change the alternater it is over charging and it will blow up your battery, trust me. change the alternater
Old 09-21-2002, 12:20 AM
chevy enthusiast

danny is on a distinguished road
how did you determine that your alternator is putting out 18 volts? sometimes stock gauges can be incorrect.
when you drive a ford you need a whole set of good wrenches-lol-
jack bauer for president
Old 09-21-2002, 12:49 PM

rapideo is on a distinguished road
Any alternator is capable of 18 volt output. They have to be controled. Thats the job of the regulator. If the guage is'nt right, a boiling battery is a sign. That 99 Mazda likely has the regulater in the alternator. He already changed the alt, so the problem is elsewhere.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:01 PM
Diesel Nut

justen is on a distinguished road
If you don't have a alternator tester bring it into a auto parts store alot of them can hook it up and run the alternator and tell you what the true output is, Ya never know. Gauges can go anytime especailly when you add something new.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:23 PM

Durango is on a distinguished road
Wow!!! 18VDC Output?

In all my troubleshooting and testing of charging/battery system failures, I've never seen an altenator output approach 18VDC. Don't misunderstand me, I've dealt with overvoltage regulation failures, but I 've never allowed a voltage reading to go that high before I realize I have a problem. If charging system voltage goes past 15VDC, you have a regulation problem that needs to be investigated. Typically, a regulator will clamp the voltage on the high end around 14.5-14.8VDC depending on RPM and current demand. The most common failures are the inability of the altenator to produce the proper amount of voltage/current or none at all. Obviously, if you have replaced the altenator/voltage regulator with a OEM part or suitable equivalent, and the problem still exist, a wiring/connection fault is the problem. Get a hold of a good wiring schematic of the altenator/voltage regulator circuit and peform the proper voltage drop test throughout the circuit. This type of failure in my experience is unique/rare.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:01 PM

miatasc is on a distinguished road
18volts

I have checked the wiring with a mazda shop manuel and ever thing looks o.k. I've heard that the ECU could be the problem. Ant ideas?
Old 09-28-2002, 10:54 AM
airplanemech

yeah 18 is way too high. normal is 14.25v. hint, as other people say that is the "regulator" job to do. maybe try another gauge or such.