Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 01-30-2004, 05:50 PM

reverend is on a distinguished road
fuel injection flooding?

Well the minus thirty weather has finally arrived. The wife plugged her chrysler intrepid in for three hours went to start it with her remote starter only to go out and find it didn't start. Trying to start it with the key it would fire a couple times, turn over five, fire once more and so began the fighting and cursing. After dragging this nice new ('98 so yea I call it new) car 3 miles to my nice heated shop with my crappy little 20 year old chev celebrity (some of you may remember it had a starter problem I posted awhile ago that seems to have cured itself, what a car!). Anyway this car sat in a 70 degree shop for 20 hours and still did the same thing, I was hoping it had just froze up and just needed to thaw out a bit, no luck. My brother came in five minutes later not knowing anything was wrong with it, turned the key and drove it out ??????????!! My dad then declared Walmart, computers and fuel injection the bane of society the car had flooded and it just takes a computer that long to figure it out. I don't know. I thought the point to fuel injection was so that kind of thing, amongst others, didn't happen anymore. Is the old guy right? Is Walmart evil? Can you flood a fuel injected car?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:03 PM
chevy enthusiast

danny is on a distinguished road
yes
when you drive a ford you need a whole set of good wrenches-lol-
jack bauer for president
Old 01-30-2004, 07:27 PM
OLD FART

KA9MOT is on a distinguished road
1. not entirely.
2. yes Wal*Mart is evil.
3. yes, you can flood anything
Old 01-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Diesel Nut

justen is on a distinguished road
If it's flooded leave it sit awhile. Try to start it again or hold the gas petal down a 1/4 way down. Then try it. Some of the guys at the shop put it to the floor and I guess if that works for ya Ye-Haw!. But yes anything thing that uses gas or diesel can flood. With or without a computer.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:37 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:32 PM

1fatcat is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you may need a good tune up! Plugs, fuel and air filter, PCV valve, wires and injector cleaning too if you want to go all out.

Yes you can flood a fuel injected car, if you have a temp sensor that is partially out of whack that can flood a car real quick in cold weather. Along with many other things.

If you hold the gas peddal to the floor while cranking, that will trigger the computer into a "clear flood mode" and turn off the injector pulse.

Another thing to keep in mind is that things in general get EXTREAMLY picky at -30 F So yeah, it could be as easy as a simple tune-up.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:30 AM
NRA Life Member

Wheel is on a distinguished road
Walmart is The Evil Empire

The South is where its at!

If it's not Made in America, I don't want it.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:43 AM

vrek is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vrek Send a message via AIM to vrek
On walmart figure this one out.
You can buy the explosive for a paintball gun(C02) at 16. But you can't buy paintballs untill your 18. Now if your using paintball CO2 and don't get paintballs your probally not using it for it intended purpose which is much more dangerous the the freakin paint balls.
Also you can but window washer fluid with amonia but you can't buy spray paint. They claim you can get high off of spray paint but you can get MUCH more high off of window washer fluid with amonia, not to mention the amonia will do more damage to your brain. Also mix the fluid with a bottle of clorine bleach(for washing clothes) soak a rag in it and you have a perfect murder weapon. Yet all of those you can buy at walmart but god forbid you buy spray paint to paint flames on your truck.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:58 AM
OLD FART

That sound like maybe local ordinances. Wal*MArt is evil for other reasons.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:08 PM
chevy enthusiast

vrek, you watch macguyver?? maybe too much??

do like all the other kids do, get someone old enough to buy and forget about it.

my sister-in-law is a pro at flooding her astro van, it has tbi and she is used to a carbureted engine, so she pumps the foot feed while trying to start for some reason
jack bauer for president
Old 01-31-2004, 12:09 PM

no, those are walmart policies. They have nothing to do with the local officials.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:12 PM
OLD FART

Yeah, I dont think I would have a problem buying you paint or paint balls.
Beer now that is a different story. You'd have to give up half of it. LOL
Old 01-31-2004, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danny
vrek, you watch macguyver?? maybe too much??

do like all the other kids do, get someone old enough to buy and forget about it.

my sister-in-law is a pro at flooding her astro van, it has tbi and she is used to a carbureted engine, so she pumps the foot feed while trying to start for some reason
Oh, i do that anywys. Im just stating that their policies are arseinine(sp?).While I love MacGuyver I don't think I watch it too much. I acturally found out about the amonia and bleach when a friend of mine while working in a resturant cleaned the window of the over with amonia nd didn't relize some one just cleaned the rest of the oven with bleach. Turned it on autocle. Kept working for 10 minutes, started getting lightheaded and eventurally passed out. He was found they figure about 5 minutes later and rushed to the hospital. Recoved fully but was sick for a couple days. The docator said he would be much worse but alot of the amonia and bleach were wiped off and it was a rather large area with good ventalation. He said if one of them weren't there he would have brain damage, if both weren't there he would be dead. As for the C02 statement, I figured it was common sense, which it turns out isn't very common, that if something can release enough energy a couple hundred times with enough force to throw a small ball over 50 miles a hour you can explode **** and really cause some damage. Hell through one in a wine bottel fill it with strong alcohol(everclear or the like), put a fuse through the cork and you could easily take out a house in one shot.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:24 PM
chevy enthusiast

half is fair-lol
jack bauer for president
Old 01-31-2004, 04:26 PM

Never mind taking out the house with one shot. Take this chrysler out. PLEASE. Just kidding, actually with 178,000 km's on the clock it hasn't given me any grief. I can't really complain about a one time flooding deal I guess but hey if it happens again at least I'll be ready for it. Thanks guys