Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Wheels and Deals

Old 03-16-2004, 04:00 PM

GAGT191 is on a distinguished road
1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport

I found a 95 Cherokee Sport with the inline 6 (4.0HO) motor. Jeep has 113,000 miles on it and has been pampered by the dealer-everything has been taken care of it in a timely fashion. Wondering if the Jeep is worth 3500 bucks or not.Mainly-reliability is my main factor-will it run for a good amount of time wothout any major problems. Any one with some knowledge on the motor or car would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:42 PM

carsandcycles is on a distinguished road
The actual engine (mechanicals) is more or less bulletproof. I had a 1988 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 L and just traded it in at 168,000 miles. The area of concern is with the peripheral accessories. I think I put two altenators, a starter and a water pump on her, during her 16 years. When I traded it in, it had a leaky fuel injector (previously had to have the fuel injector "O" rings changed because of leaking) and the engine did leak around the rear seal. I would be cautious if you don't expect to put any money into it, but mine ran pretty stronge through the sixteen years I had her. If I had the option to do it again with my Cherokee, I would. Check out Kelly Blue Book, www.kbb.com and Edmunds, www.edmunds.com they should give you an good idea on what it's worth. At 113,000 miles your going to have to expect to start replacing some of the parts due to wear out.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Penn., 1759.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Super-Duper Moderator

vetteonr is on a distinguished road
I agree. Anything with that many miles on it is due to have some things replaced. If the body and frame are in good shape, then this might be a good deal.

Corvette.......Enough Said!!

Jeez, I wish I could put a photo in here!

"If you need good wrenches, make sure you know how to use them!"
Old 03-17-2004, 09:56 AM
chevy enthusiast

danny is on a distinguished road
my concern is if it hasn't had anything replaced. all machines use parts and if nothing has been changed you could be buying a vehicle that needs repairing soon. as far as value goes what do you think the vehicle is worth, will it serve your needs?
when you drive a ford you need a whole set of good wrenches-lol-
jack bauer for president
Old 03-17-2004, 10:35 AM
OLD FART

KA9MOT is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine just bought a 95 Jeep Cherokee. She asked me to research her price. Private party value is $5,900. Dealer would sell it for $10,000. The body on her Jeep was decent but no prize. The Jeep she bought has 168,000 on the clock and needed brakes at all 4 corners.

If you can get the same vehicle for $3500, I would do it regardless of any thing else as long as it has not been wrecked.