Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 09-03-2004, 10:42 AM

FRDYSZKI is on a distinguished road
Hard To Start In The Morning

My Wifes 95 Get Tracker Is Hard To Start In The Morning.

The Plugs,wires,cap And Rotor Have Been Changed.

Starts Fine Rest Of The Day.

Pleasehelp
Old 09-03-2004, 11:32 AM

carsandcycles is on a distinguished road
It sounds like one of your sensors is telling the computer that the engine is warm and it is not going into open loop mode, which will richen your fuel mixture. It could also be a vacuum leak, which is leaning out your mixture, causing the same condition. Check for broken hoses and/or cracks. In fact the more I think about it, a vacuum leak seems more likely, and is easier to check in any case.
And welcome to the forum, glad you found us.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Penn., 1759.

Last edited by carsandcycles; 09-03-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 PM

Hi
How Do I Check For The Vacuum Leak?

Would That Just Cause A Hard Start In The Morning And Let It Run Fine The Rest Of The Day?

We Had It In Theshop When This Started, It Was Intermitent Then, Now It Is More Regular. Should They Have Found That??

Thanks For The Help And The Nice Welcome
Old 09-03-2004, 01:54 PM

carsandcycles is on a distinguished road
Checking for vacuum leaks can be frustrating at times, however the first step is easy enough. (If the engine is not too loud, when idling, you might hear a hissing sound. If that's the case, see if you can locate the sound.) Otherwise, just track down all the vacuum hoses coming and going to the intake manifold, evaporation system, etc. Look for cracks, broken hoses or hoses that have popped off of fittings. Another way to track them down is to use a spray can, of say wd-40 and lightly spray around areas that could be leaking. Remember too that it may not be a leak, but it is the easiest thing to check first. Maybe some of the other guys might chime in with other possible causes. Does the engine manifest any other problems, rough idle, missing, etc.? The more symtoms you can list, the better the help from others may be.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Penn., 1759.

Last edited by carsandcycles; 09-03-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:00 PM

It Runs Great

There Is A Gas Smell Some Times And A Puff Of White Smoke When It Finally Turns Over
Old 09-03-2004, 02:04 PM

Zib is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsandcycles
Another way to track them down is to use a spray can, of say wd-40 and lightly spray around areas that could be leaking.
Most guys I know use starting fluid to check for vacuum leaks. They spray a little around the connections of the vacuum hoses & if the engine idles higher then they found their leak. I'm hesitant to use starting fluid to check vacuum leaks because with my luck I'll end up with an engine fire. If you use any flammable spray to check for leaks be sure to have a fire extinguisher on standby.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Banned

dougbfresh is on a distinguished road
Maybe fuel injector(s) leaking? IAC not working correctly? Does it blow black when it starts? You need to determine if it's a fuel or spark issue. I'd check fuel pressure 1st to make sure I had adequate fuel pressure. A weak pump or bad regulator is a good 1st suspect. If you had a leaky injectors, you might not have a lot of fuel in the fuel rail in the morning, causing a hard 1st start. If you run the car several times a day, it may take awhile for the fuel to leak down so subsequent starts might be better than the 1st in the AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:41 PM

How Do You Check A Fuel Regulator?
HOW DO YOU CHECK IF AN INJECTOR IS LEAKING
One Garage Said It Could Be A Weak Pump

Others Say No
We Try To Run The Pump A Few Times And Then Start It And That Really Don't Work Better

No Black Smoke

There Is Spark And The Shop Said There Was Fuel Pressure In June

Last edited by FRDYSZKI; 09-03-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Banned

You need to buy a fuel pressure gauge. Connect it and see what the pressure is when starting then after it starts. Most pressure regulators have a vacuum line on them. When you remove it, the pressure should increase like engine is under load. After the car is shut off, it should hold pressure if it's not leaking down. Most port fuel injected motors have an ideling pressure in the 30 PSI range (or more), the throttle body injected motors had less I recall (less than 20 PSI). You need the manual to determine what the correct pressure is. Typically when a regulator goes the diaphram leaks and you suck in gas making the engine run rich (will also cause black smoke).

My wifes old car went through several fuel pumps, the car would start with 5 PSI but would not go anywhere (it was supposed to be 35 psi). I finally went with a real GM pump after the 3rd NAPA brand pump. I got real good at pulling the gas tank in under 20 minutes.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:46 PM

Everyone Says It Is Not The Pump??

Our Trooper Had A Separate Start And Run Circuit On The Pump...run Worked But Start Was Iffy

Ge Told Me There Wires Are The Best,the Bleached Blond Behind The Counter,i Don't Know

I Have To Pull The Pump To Bring To Napa So They Know Which One (3available) I Need. Lucky I Have The Harley To Get Around On While She Has My Truck
Old 09-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Banned

Check pressure 1st. I'm betting a leaky injector or ignition problem. You need to rule out the fuel 1st. Did anyone get a pressure reading? Some cars have a start injector that squirts more fuel in at startup, you MANUAL should tell you.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:01 PM

What Is A Leaky Injector

When The Pump Starts It Sends Fuel To The Injector??

Manual Is Not So Good

The Shop Got Fuel Pressure , They Said Cap And Rotor...not
Old 09-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Banned

Leaky FUEL INJECTOR. Fuel pump pressurises the fuel line and is regulates by the fuel pressure regulator. A fuel injector dies not really inject per se, it opens and the pressure in the rail is what really does the magic. When you shut the car off, the injectors should close keeping fuel in the rail. If you have leakers, the fuels will bleed out of the system causing 2 potential issues. Either a flooding type condition or if the car has sat log enough for the excess fuel to evaporate, the fuel rail/lines will have air in them and the pump will have to refill causing a hard start condition since there will not be enough fuel behind the injectors to be squirted out when the injector does open. You need to buy a fuel pressure gauge to diagnose further. About $30 at Autozone or Pep Boys (or you favorite auto parts store).
Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 AM

35 Ford is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib
Most guys I know use starting fluid to check for vacuum leaks. They spray a little around the connections of the vacuum hoses & if the engine idles higher then they found their leak. I'm hesitant to use starting fluid to check vacuum leaks because with my luck I'll end up with an engine fire. If you use any flammable spray to check for leaks be sure to have a fire extinguisher on standby.
That's probably a very good idea. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it either.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:10 AM

35 Ford is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDYSZKI
My Wifes 95 Get Tracker Is Hard To Start In The Morning.

The Plugs,wires,cap And Rotor Have Been Changed.

Starts Fine Rest Of The Day.

Pleasehelp
Is the check engien light on? If there was a sensor bad it would kick a code out and turn the light on.