Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Website Suggestions

Old 11-05-2001, 01:10 AM
storyteller1

Quad 4 Engines

Hello. I have a 1992 Grand AM SE with a DOHC 2.3L Quad 4 engine. It is not the HO model though.

I have heard a few horror stories about people who have Quad 4 engines. I have heard that they tend to blow their head gaskets at between 60k to 80k miles. Sure enough, mine blew it's head gasket, seperator, tensioner. I had it fixed, and it cost me $1600.00 bucks. Not a cheap repair. The guy told me that he sees that every 60k to 80k.

My question is that once this is repaired, is it something that I am going to have to start to worry about again when I put another 60k to 80k on my car -- or maybe even before?

Also, are there any other problems with the model of engine that I have, or model of car that I have that I should be aware of?

I have an auto transmission by the way, and just under 70k miles.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Bob
Old 11-05-2001, 07:39 PM
sspeeddemon

keep checking the water temp and the water level. and then you might want to check out your thermostat for saftey reasons also when you do this. and also don't drag or race your car after fixing your blown head gasket. it will go faster. and also make sure that the person who fixes your car does it right the first time and knows exactly how to tighten the head bolds down. if done wrong it can lead to a gasket creating a gap between the head and block to let water in and do it again.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:03 AM
storyteller1

I am pretty sure that the tech. did it right. I had it done at the dealer, and the tech did seem to know what he was talking about.

I have been keeping a check on the water level, and oil to make sure that the white goop does not start up again, which is what indicated that I had a problem. Also, there was a "putt putt putt putt" sound when I hit the gas, which told me that the gasket was leaking. Not to mention the gas milage that I was gettng. Before, I had to refill after about 185 miles, now I can go well over 210 since it was fixed.

My thermostat went up, which some people have told me helped in making the head gasket wear, and then blow.

I don't drag race, so that should not be a problem.

So if I take care of the engine, keep a check on my water, and make sure that the thermostat is working correctly, I should not have this problem again?

Bob
Old 11-07-2001, 01:21 PM
16secGA

Odd,

I own a 1995 Pontiac Grand am 2.3 DOHC non HO. I tuned it a bit and never heard of that prob. I have had the car since 40K miles and now going on 100K Been to the 1/4 track a couple of times and done some racing with it. The only thing i need is a new timing chain before I spray the motor. have you been to www.gapower.com and discussed that with other people in that forum? They would more than likely know about the gaskets going out.
Old 11-11-2001, 01:18 PM
rochead

Quad 4

Want another horror story? I had an 89 Quad 4. At 82k the gasket went and took the whole motor. It was replaced with a new complete engine in 93. That motor had the oil pump go at 11k. It was repaired and would still loose oil pressure for 1 to 15 seconds on a daily basis. No one could tell me why. Pontiac told me they couldn't do anything until it Quit working. I traded the car after 51k on the motor, 1k out of warranty. The next owner that bought it had the pump go out on the way home and blew up the motor. With my experiences you couldn't pay me to own a Quad 4 no matter how good people say they are. My advice is if you are worried about it, GET RID OF IT!!!
Old 11-24-2001, 01:56 PM
Bald_Jeeper

"Early" quad 4 head gaskets....

Yeah, we see a lot of those cars (pre-'94) that blow head gaskets... usually it's one and done. GM had a problem with them from the factory. Usually after it's been fixed, you won't have the same problem again unless it is caused by something else like overheating the engine. Usually the rest of the car falls apart by 150k anyway though so we don't see very many of them beyond that point.
Old 11-28-2001, 12:47 PM
corkyd

by 1994-95 GM had pretty well 'fixed' the head gasket problem on Quad 4 engines.. unless the head was warped and not refinished.. any current headgasket used should work for a long time. ( I sold Pontiacs for a while in 94-95)