Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 02-20-2005, 09:16 PM

bracketshark is on a distinguished road
Chevy Vortec Timing

I've been replacing Vortec intake gaskets like crazy for people around here. I have a procedure to put the distributor back in its exact location as removed but I'd like to know the proper procedure and what tool (s) are needed to verify the timing is set correctly. Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

dougbfresh is on a distinguished road
Maybe a Timing Light!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:34 PM

Thanks Doug, I guess you don't know how to properly check the timing on a vortec engine either. Details on how to do it is what I'm looking for. As far as I know, it is differant than the pre 95 models, I've been told it takes more than MY light. Explain procedure please.

Last edited by bracketshark; 02-21-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Banned

If it has an adjustable distributor, a timing light is exactly what you need! If it has a coil pack and the computer does it, you have NO manual adjustment. Does it have a removable, adjustable distributor or a coil pack? Check this out for 92-95 Vortec: http://www.painlessperformance.com/M...0514Manual.pdf and search for "timing" inside this document, the 2nd entry is probably what you want. I had an 82' Vette that you had to set the base timing the same way, by disconnecting a connector to the distributor.

Here is from another site:
Q: How do I set the timing on my SS? What is the procedure?
  • The only reliable way to set engine timing is with a timing light.
  • Prior to beginning, clean the timing tab that is on the front of the timing cover, and the balancer (particularly where the timing grove is located). To aid in visibility, I recommend you paint this grove with silver or white paint. You can also swipe silver paint over the timing cover timing tab to enhance the markings on it.
  • With the engine off, disconnect the 4 pin connector going to the lower rear of the distributor.
  • Connect the timing light's power cables to the battery.
  • Clip the timing light's sensor wire to the #1 cylinder spark plug wire (driver's side, front spark plug). An easy place to connect this is up by the distributor. Just make sure you have the correct wire.
  • With all wires clear of the fan blade and belts, start the engine.
  • If the timing light is the adjustable type, ensure it is in the 0 degree advance mode.
  • The timing light should be strobing.. or should strobe when you hit its trigger.
  • Point the timing light down at the timing tab on the timing cover.
  • If all is working properly, the timing grove on the balancer should be present somewhere in the timing tab region when the timing light strobes on.
  • To adjust the timing, loosen the distributor hold down bolt just enough to be able to rotate the distributor. Rotate the distributor in small increments, then recheck timing. Rotate counter-clockwise to advance timing (timing mark BTDC increases away from 0 degrees), clockwise to retard timing (timing mark BTDC decreases toward 0 degrees). Stock timing should be 6 degrees BTDC. You can increase this to 10 to 12 degrees BTDC for better performance.
  • Once you have the timing where you want, tighten the distributor hold down bolt and recheck the timing. You may have to bias the adjustment one way or the other to get the tightened down timing reading where you want it.
  • Once you've tightened the distributor bolt down the final time, you can turn the engine off. Reconnect the 4 pin connector and remove the timing light. You're done!

Last edited by dougbfresh; 02-21-2005 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:19 AM

I really would like to hear from someone who has actually done the timing adjustment on a 96 up chevy v8 vortec motor. I read the link that you posted but I don't think it pertains to the 96 up motors. Does 1fatcat still frequent this site? He being a GM tech would know the answer for sure. These have a removable distributor (crab type cap) also has a crank triger built into the timing cover. I know the 87-95 have the single pin wire that is disconnected to set the timing with a light, I have been told it takes a scanner or some other tool, to allow the timing to be set on the vortec engine.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:07 PM
OLD FART

KA9MOT is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, we have not seen "the fatcat" in quite some time. Although, when Doug first started posting here I thought perhaps he was 1fatcat incognito. They have similar attitudes.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy's Bronco
Unfortunately, we have not seen "the fatcat" in quite some time. Although, when Doug first started posting here I thought perhaps he was 1fatcat incognito. They have similar attitudes.
Care to elaborate Beefy??
Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 PM
OLD FART

I liked fatcat. He knew his stuff and he wanted us to all know he knew his stuff.

1fatcat's signature says it all: WARNING... My oppinion and additude both suck. I seldom have anything nice to say to anyone! I'm pretty much an ***** hole! Don't like it? Then don't read it!........Only you can controll your eyes!
(apparently his spelling wasn’t so great)

Doug, you and I have had to learn to play nice. I admire your willingness to help and your level of expertise. However sometimes your attitude is similar to fatcat's. The only difference was that he pulled it off well.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Banned

Looks who's talking about attitude Beefy-I don't have coworkers wanting to take me outside to fight with and I don't get kicked out of Internet forums and high school events. Maybe you ought to examine your OWN attitude DUDE!
Old 02-21-2005, 03:55 PM

I just finished rereading my post and maybe some of this is my fault. I didn't identify the vortec engines in question. 96, 97, 98 chevy & gmc trucks are the ones I'm questioning the procedure for, sorry if I confused anyone. I emailed fatcat just to see if he will reply. Thanks
Old 02-21-2005, 04:56 PM
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Looks who's talking about attitude Beefy-I don't have coworkers wanting to take me outside to fight with and I don't get kicked out of Internet forums and high school events. Maybe you ought to examine your OWN attitude DUDE!
Huh?????

Where did you find something to get mad about Doug?

Hell, I've been kicked out of a foriegn country! We aint worried about the schools.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:20 AM
OLD FART

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketshark
I just finished rereading my post and maybe some of this is my fault. I didn't identify the vortec engines in question. 96, 97, 98 chevy & gmc trucks are the ones I'm questioning the procedure for, sorry if I confused anyone. I emailed fatcat just to see if he will reply. Thanks

Not your fault at all bro............It is a good question. Let me know if you hear from "the cat".
Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 PM

mormak is on a distinguished road
timing

to properly set the timing in the vortech engines you need a scan tool with live data stream capabilities. with the scan tool connected and the engine running you have to increase engine rpm's above 1500? can't remember exactly , then monitor the camshaft siginal to get it within specified limits 0 degrees +/- 2 degrees may want to double check those numbers as well . there is no timing marks for a convetional timing light. also it will run with the cam signal off as much as 14 degrees.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 AM

That is what I was looking for thanks. It is kind of confusing though cause there is a mark on the balancer but no tab on the motor to time it to. Oh well I guess I'll continue to just put the distributor back in like I've been doing, I'd just feel better about it if I knew where the timing was at. Oh yea beefy, no fatcat replies I guess he found a site a bit more challenging to him. It's ashame to loose that information. Thanks to all.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:43 PM

Craig_T is on a distinguished road
I just finished replacing the intake gaskets on my 97 (Vortec 350), along with plugs, wires, rotor, cap, radiator hoses, thermostat/seal. After about three attempts, I was finally able to drop the distributor in there. I'm also wondering about my timing, I read that if the distributor is off just by a few degrees you could mess up the automatic timing and also cause a crossfire condition. The motor is running rough at idle and when I did a quick test drive down the street the throttle didn't respond like it usually does when I let off the gas, it feels like my foot is still on the peddle slightly. Also my engine is overheating. I didn't drive far or for very long and it heated up pretty quick. My question is, if the timing is off and my distributor is not in the correct position, will this cause the overheating and rough running conditions??? I rented an OBD 2 scanner from one of the local parts stores, but it doesn't have data stream capabilities, like mormak was talking about. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks. Oh by the way, this is my first time to this forum. I was looking for a forum for info on my truck, hopefully this will be a good place to go.