Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 12-09-2001, 01:10 PM
SSRon

High speed Miss

Hi I have a 69 Camaro SS that I bought not to long ago and have been working on the interior. The Car has a 350 with Edelbrock Performer RPM and a Road Demon 625cfm Carb with Hedman Headers other then that its basicly stock except for an Accel Super Coil in a GM HEI distributor < was on the car when purchased > . I didnt drive the car to much after the purchase so I just found out that I seem to have a High speed miss well maybe not so High speed its around 3500 to 3800 rpm, Also the Factory Tach in the Dash seems to start fluttering at this point.

I had read that on older cars a Resistance wire was used on the + side of the coil limiting Voltage and it should have been removed and replaced with a standard wire to get a full 12 volts to this point. Also if used the Resistance wire could cause Damage to the Ignition module, Could this be my miss ?. I have Changed Plugs, Plug wires, Cap, and Rotor but its still there.

Any help would be appriciated and sorry for the long post.

TIA, Ron
Old 12-09-2001, 02:31 PM
Look at my member

raceman6135 is on a distinguished road
Hey Ron,

I would definitely check that the wire going to the HEI is a 10 gauge wire all the way, and then use a digital voltmeter to make sure battery voltage (13.5 volts, in a perfect world) is getting to the distributor.

It could also be a bad coil. Super Coils or factory replacement coils are cheap enough to replace, but I'd check that BAT + wire on the cap first. That would cause the tach to flutter as well.

When was the last time the carb was rebuilt? What kind of fuel pressure is the pump putting out? Is the float set too low (and therefore the carb running dry at those rpm's)?

Might have to do some more checking before you find the problem.

DJS
Old 12-10-2001, 12:50 AM
SSRon

Carb is Brand new outta the box, I did make sure I Ran a 10ga. wire from the Ignition terminal ( spare Female Connector on the fuse block ) to the distributor, Fuel lvl is approximatly half a sight glass on both bowls of the Carb. I was thinking that I may want to replace all the distributor internals as well as the coil also ( your post kinda narrowed down what I was thinking about having to do Raceman ).