Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 06-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Silverado is on a distinguished road
1998 Mercury sable Fuel pump fuse problem

My neighbor has this vehicle and it's intermittently blowing the 20 amp fuse labled for the fuel pump.
He and I removed the old pump and sender and installed a brand new unit with the same problem existing.
We don't have a shop manual for this vehicle and he has a 1996 owners manual for a 1998 vehicle.
The best we can discern is potentially a Powertrain Control Module might be the culprit.
Anyone know where this component is? We can't find it anywhere in the engine compartment.
There is a module beneath the battery, but believe it to be the main computer for the vehicle.
Thanks
Greg
Old 06-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Banned

FieroSpeeder is on a distinguished road
i believe that is the relay box. It is a black box located someplace inside the hood. It stores several relays. Like for the fans or fuel pump.

I dont have a spec on that car. Some modules control the speed of the fuel pump on the newer cars. Your module may be only the relays that are similiar to the older fords.

It is possible the relay is shorted out and that is what is causing your fuse to blow.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:46 AM

carsandcycles is on a distinguished road
Could it not also be a clogged fuel filter. It seems unlikely but extra strain to pump fuel would over heat the pump and cause a higher amperage draw condition. Might also check for kinked lines; both supply and/or return lines. Just a thought.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Penn., 1759.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:18 AM

Silverado is on a distinguished road
replys

Thanks for the input every little bit helps
Greg
Old 06-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Banned

dougbfresh is on a distinguished road
Put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see what the pressure is then pull the vacuum line off the regulator to see if the presuure increases like it's supposed to. The Ford products have an inertial switch somewhere I recall, to cut off the fuel flow in an accident. This may be the culprit, I seem to recall seeing a reset in the truck of a couple of fords for this switch.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:57 AM
chevy enthusiast

danny is on a distinguished road
does the inertia switch allow fuel to flow slowly? i thought it was either on or off.
when you drive a ford you need a whole set of good wrenches-lol-
jack bauer for president
Old 06-12-2005, 10:21 AM
OLD FART

KA9MOT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
does the inertia switch allow fuel to flow slowly? i thought it was either on or off.

No, only on or off. However, if it were shorting to ground (not very likely but stranger crap has occured) it would blow the fuse. I'm leaning toward the shorted relay theory or a bad wire that is shorting to ground.
The overheated fuel pump is also a likely suspect.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:22 PM

olddog is on a distinguished road
I doubt a filter or kinked line could increase amp draw on the motor to the point of blowing fuseses without manifesting itself in some type of engine operation problem.

One possibility is that the new pump is also bad. Another is that the wiring is toast (especially if someone put a bigger fuse in to get home - my son smoked my 92 crown doing that $500). If you can borrow a DC clamp on amp meter (an electrician at a factory would have one), you could see how many amps the pump is pulling. That would be your best bet at this point. If the pump is pulling relatively low amp then there must be an intermitent short.