Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 10-24-2005, 11:39 AM

HubDawg is on a distinguished road
1999 Ford Windstar Tranny shudder

Have a 1999 Ford Windstar. When at a stopped position and accelerate sort of quickly, when the tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd gear there is a distinctive shudder (like running over those small grooves before you get to a stop sign).
It only happens from 1st to 2nd and no other gears upshifting or downshifting.

I've seen other posts on the internet about this, but no solutions. Seems to be prevelent in Ford/Chrysler vehicles. My van has 105k on it, but have seen others that have this same problem with 40k on it.

Any suggestions besides replacing the tranny? We have put in the tranny oil for slipage, but the shudder still happens.

Last edited by HubDawg; 10-24-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Saltmine is on a distinguished road
The solution is, rebuild or replace the transmission. Actually, the most prevelant cause of "shudder", especially in Ford transmissions, is the torque converter clutch, but since the torque converter clutch isn't engaged in first and second gear, you're probably experiencing the forward clutch pack slipping. No magical "snake oil" for this one. The transmission has to be opened up and repaired.

A Windstar with 105K on the transmission is on borrowed time anyway.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:28 AM

HubDawg is on a distinguished road
That's what I figured. Thanks for your expertise.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Super User

Racerock is on a distinguished road
Hopefully HubDawg is not a two time poster. Welcome.

Couple things you could do before yanking it out and either having it rebuilt, or putting in a factory rebuilt (often a better idea if you yank it yourself).

1. When is the last time you did a filter change and full fluid flush??? Did you use exactly the type of fluid that the factory recommends. Trust me, do not trust a place like Jiffy Lube to put in the correct fluid.

While this is more critical on a Chrysler minivans transmission, the Ford is close.

While usually torque converter shutter associated from old fluid that is breaking down is at a higher speed, a full transmission flush has been known to fix problems in Chrysler, Ford and Acura transmissions (from my personal experience).

2. Long shot, but my brothers Windstar had what appeared to be transmission issues. Turned out to be a simple sensor that he changed himself. Fixed the problem, and I think he has put another 60K or so on it since.

On my Chrysler, when the Throttle position sensor goes up, the symptoms make it appear as if the tranmission is failing! (happened twice!)

But, 105K is the time to start saving for a rebuilt transmission indeed. When I did mine in the Chrysler, the best deal I got was a factory rebuilt transmission from Chrysler. It included factory improvements to it, and the "Cash Wholesale" discount was actually a real good deal. When calling around, one of the east coast largest trans shops here in Maryland goes to Chrysler for the 4E transmission - they get a better deal, and better product than rebuilding themselves

07 Acura TL, 04 BMW 745Li - (nice ride), 01 Audi TT 225 Hp Quattro 6 speed (street legal go cart with a/c), 03 Linc Navigator, 02 Ford Exploder - still need to put that trans in..., 00 Honda Accord, 67 Cutlass, 65 Mustang, 86 Wellcraft Nova, 03 Honda Foreman 450ES, 2000 BMW K1200LT (2 wheels...), Cub Cadet