Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 AM

Gordoncooks is on a distinguished road
2001 Bravada -Smarttrak question

WOW, I just drove my wife's 2001 Bravada and it feels like the drivetrain is locked. It won't even roll downhill backwards. No Abs lights or check engine - smart trak fluid at 30k - I've heard there may be a motor problem -any suggestions??

thanks
Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 PM
TEXAS, GUN and AMMO

schretter.works is on a distinguished road
See if the brakes are locked.

Hunt with Ted

Old 10-26-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schretter.works
See if the brakes are locked.
I've heard that the e-brakes break down on these trucks but I checked that a while ago - gotta be transfer case, encoder or something. I've also heard that the wheel speed sensors can be a hair off (wouldn't that trigger the abs light?)

Last edited by Gordoncooks; 10-26-2005 at 04:09 PM. Reason: edit sp
Old 10-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Diesel Nut

justen is on a distinguished road
About two years ago there was a recall on some of them for having brakes lockup, they had to replace a brake module. It also had a recall on the trailblazer and envoy. What was happening is someone would stop at the stop sign and the brakes would lock up and when they trying driving off the front tires squealed until the brakes unlocked again.

Last edited by justen; 10-26-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:30 PM

2001 is last of the old body style
Old 10-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Diesel Nut

Yep I had a 2000 bravada, I would check the brakes. Also Is your bravada All wheel drive? Mine was, and one time I had the tranny stuck in low gear. I pulled a shrub out of the ground worst mistake I made lol. I had to pull the transmission. Then on my bravada the abs failed and brakes didn't work at all. Can't remember what I all replaced but it was a few things including a brake module. If you have a smarttrak problem usually you'll get a computer code. Because smarttrak will engage the front tires if there is any spinning in the rear tires. And it will engage the brakes if one tire is sliding to help keep the vehicle straight on the road. Just a test if it is smarttrak problem I would unhook the battery for a while and see if that resets it. Otherwise I would first think theres a brake lockup somewhere. And if it is a brake problem I would start looking for something electrical. But could be a stuck caliber piston too. So pull the wheels off and investigate. Or at least try to spin the wheel. This will narrow your search to what wheel it is.

Last edited by justen; 10-30-2005 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 AM

I guess I should be a little more specific - 2001 Bravada - extreme drivetrain binding when executing parking lot manuvers of anytime the steering is more than a half turn. Feels like a locked posi skipping around a corner.(even worse in reverse) Straight line driveability is normal forwards and backwards. When I back down my drive which is pretty steep - as soon as the steering angle increases - the clutches in the transfer case will not slip to allow for wheel speed differential. So, I'm thinking transfer case but is it mechanical or electrically controlled slip?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Diesel Nut

yeah sounds to me your bravada is doing something weird. It sounds like it's stuck in 4x4. Especially if the front end is skipping along like it's in posi. Try resetting the computer once. If thats not it then I'm guessing the computer has engaged the smarttrek for some reason or the other. It shouldn't drive like it's in 4 wheel lock. Otherwise you might have to take it in and see why the computer is doing that. It could be a sensor or a short in the wiring. Also you might not have a engine light or abs light but I would take it down to auto zone or checkers and have them try to pull a code. There could be a pending code there that you can't see.

Last edited by justen; 11-01-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:16 PM

khutchinson22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordoncooks
I guess I should be a little more specific - 2001 Bravada - extreme drivetrain binding when executing parking lot manuvers of anytime the steering is more than a half turn. Feels like a locked posi skipping around a corner.(even worse in reverse) Straight line driveability is normal forwards and backwards. When I back down my drive which is pretty steep - as soon as the steering angle increases - the clutches in the transfer case will not slip to allow for wheel speed differential. So, I'm thinking transfer case but is it mechanical or electrically controlled slip?

did you end up figuring out your problem? i am having the same issue and have spent nearly $500 with no fix. i have replaced the fluid, transfer case control module, encodor motor sensor and pcm. tried to update all of these and cannot update (probably since my radio isnt stock). i am getting ready to replace the encodor motor to see if that helps. if it doesnt, i dont know what else it could be.

btw, if you havent figured out the issue and need a transfer case control module, i have a brand new one. only installed to see if it would fix the issue and then removed. dealer wont take it back because it is an electronic part.

thanks for your help.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:39 PM

WPH is on a distinguished road
Gordoncooks...I have had the same problem with 99 Bravada. The rear differential has a locking mechenism for posi-traction . I had 2 choices, buy a new posi unit or take the one in the car out and remove the locking mechenism. The locking mechenism is located in the ring-gear carrier.I chose to take the locking mechenism out although now my differential no longer a posi-traction unit.Drivability is much better.END
Old 11-28-2005, 12:03 PM

No solution as of yet

I am about to take it to the dealer for a diagnosis - I'll keep you posted as to the outcome - I talked to a GM service guy friend at another dealer and he advised to to request a "goodwill" repair. I've bought 3 (2 bravadas) from the same place in the last 5 years.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:30 PM

AlanB is on a distinguished road
Hi, a Google search brought me to your Bravada posts, though my problem has to do with my 2002 Envoy. It intermittently has the same type of problem reported by Gordoncooks in his 11/1 note - the binding that occurs when making a sharp turn. The reason I'm here, though, is that my service 4 wheel drive light comes on intermittently (more often than not). When the light comes on I do not have 4-wheel drive. The problem first occurred last year after my battery was drained and I needed GMC to reprogram my computers. It was at this point that the intermittent problems began. I am told I need a new transfer case control module ($570, hopefully including labor). Before I have the work done I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I can't see why it would work sometimes and other times not.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:48 PM

AlanB is on a distinguished road
I'm still trying to figure out the problem with my Envoy's 4x4 not always working. I had also mentioned my transmission seems to bind when turning sharply at low speeds, similar to the problem reported at the beginning of this thread. I just happened to find a GM tech site. There was a known problem relating to this:

02-04-21-008; Shudder, Rocking Motion, Binding, Feels Like Vehicle is Stuck in 4WD (Crow Hop) When Turning at Low Speeds (Replace Transfer Case Encoder Sensor and Reprogram TCCM); 2002-03 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada

I found this at http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/iss...e.html#story14

I don't know if this is old news to you by this point, but found this interesting - it does look like it was a known issue that GMC should have been able to handle, doesn't it?
Old 09-03-2006, 02:12 PM

JeremyCincy is on a distinguished road
I am having the same problem mentioned above with my '02 Bravada AWD. In a sharp turn at slow speeds, front wheels lock up and skid. Seems worse in reverse. Before I go dropping 1000's of dollars in this, I was wondering if there was a definitive fix anyone has found. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 AM

pam1260 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordoncooks
I am about to take it to the dealer for a diagnosis - I'll keep you posted as to the outcome - I talked to a GM service guy friend at another dealer and he advised to to request a "goodwill" repair. I've bought 3 (2 bravadas) from the same place in the last 5 years.
Did you get around to taking in your Bravada? What did they tell you? I have a 2002 Bravada that slows down on turns (doesn't matter if in forward or reverse). Just last week it started making a minor noise while turning. Any idea what could be casuing this for me?