Two Guys Garage Forum  

Go Back   Two Guys Garage Forum > Your Own Projects

Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 AM

beardeddragon is on a distinguished road
95 K1500 exhaust, intake, chip, tbi spacer?

Hello everyone and thanks for looking! My name is Jason and I live in Washington state, I mow lawns; haul 1/2 ton of grass in the back and tow a trailer with equipment. I am building up my 1995 Chevy K1500 pickup, extended cab, 5.7 350, auto, 4wd.
These are the mods I am planning to do soon:
1. Hedman elite headers #69840 as done on episode 410
2. Flowmaster American thunder dual exhaust kit w super 40 muffler #17315
3. Transdapt TBI spacer w/fuel line extenders
4. K&N fuel injection performance kit
5. A performance chip: hypertech, superchip, fastchip?

First of all what you think of my plans? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. What chip should I get? Anyone who has personal experience with either chip in a similar vehicle? Any other mods that I should be looking at? Any idea what kind on performance increases I should expect? How difficult is it to install each component? Thank you very much for your help and advice!

Jason
Old 07-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Saltmine is on a distinguished road
Headers and mufflers might help a little, but don't expect huge performance gains. The TBI spacer is snake oil, another "Tornado" apple slicer. They have been tested on a dyno, and delivered no improvement in performance. I've never heard of the "fuel injection performance kit", by K&N. I'm not sure it would even work on a TBI unit.
What is your engine code? It's the eighth number in the VIN number. If it's an "R" forget the TBI spacer altogether...you have a CMFI engine, not throttle body.

Chips? Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Any gain you get will cut into something else. More power will cause poor cold starting and drivability problems. Gas mileage will drop with almost every "chip" on the market. But, being a '95, you may have a "rewriteable EEPROM" which means instead of a "chip", you get a programmer instead.
Realistically, all of these mods will give very little improved performance.
Your best bet, for the most performance for the dollar, is to invest in a Chevy 383 crate engine. All of your accessories will just bolt on, and the difference in performance is nothing short of amazing. Take it from a professional, all of these "goodies" are truthfully a waste of cash....Even though the exhaust upgrades will deliver your best improvement of all.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:47 AM

Thank you very much for your infomation and oppinion. The 8th number is a K and my truck is throttle body injection. The trans dapt throttle body spacer, trans dapt cold air kit, and the hedman elite headers was put on a truck exactly like mine on episode 410 and put on the dyno after each upgrade. Total for only those 3 upgrades was around 60-70 horespower and torque on the dyno. They tested after each upgrade and the headers did show the best improvements all showed a bump in hp and torque. I have been told that you need to improve hp by 10% to feel the change, so possible the tbi spacer's 15 hp was not noticable to some but the dyno says different. Anyway please everyone keep the replies coming. I will post pics and give results after I make the modifications...

Which chip is best? Which intake kit, I love the K&N standard filter I have on now and trust their products?
Old 07-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Banned

dougbfresh is on a distinguished road
So, what kind of $$ are you going to put into an 11 (almost 12) year old truck? A newer truck will have better performance and mileage out of the box with port injection. The TBI is probably your weakest link. The problem with a "Chip" is that when you make many changes to the base engine, the chip may or may not help. The fuel map in the new chip may not work well with all your changes, that's why later model (OBDII) computers are a better deal for tuning since you can retune from a laptop or handheld tuner to adapt to any changes you make. Typically, changing cylinder heads and cam will yeild the largest bang for the buck as far as performance but you still have to get the correct tune for your combo. Think I'd save my nickels for a newer truck with port fuel injection.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 AM

great point! If I had only known that the 96 was vortec direct port injection when I purchased this truck. I am not getting a new truck until E85 is available in my area. I still have a few years of modest payment on this truck to go. lol your correct though the direct port injection is much better on performance, they can rev higher than the 4000 at which my truck shifts. THanks for the info! I will consider the heads and cam option and also as you said saving for a newer truck would be nice if I fould a LARGE BAG OF MONEY LOL.

The costs are as follows:
Hedman Elite Headers found for 265.95
Flowmaster american thunder cat back dual rear exit exhaust 279.95
K&N fipk cold air intake kit 272.95
trans dapt tbi spacer 45.88+27.88 (fuel line ext.) + 27.99 addl tbi riser plate
Total = $920.60
Cost of a new truck 25K
Savings 24,079.40

Last edited by beardeddragon; 07-24-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Diesel Nut

justen is on a distinguished road
Get headers and exhaust and a Napa gold filter. Throttle body spacers are junk, I tried one and I had really bad throttle response. Step on the gas pedal and wait, then it finally takes off. Theres also a direct fuel injection system for the 95, which will increase horsepower between 26-30 hp. Cam is good to have. Vortec heads can be put on but takes alot of work. Edelbrock makes heads that are equivalent or better then the vortec heads. All kinds of stuff.

Last edited by justen; 07-24-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardeddragon
The costs are as follows:
Hedman Elite Headers found for 265.95
Flowmaster american thunder cat back dual rear exit exhaust 279.95
K&N fipk cold air intake kit 272.95
trans dapt tbi spacer 45.88+27.88 (fuel line ext.) + 27.99 addl tbi riser plate
Total = $920.60
Cost of a new truck 25K
Savings 24,079.40
That's if you buy a NEW truck. Does the truck currently have dual exhaust?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Justen,
thank you very much for your imput, I have heard good things about the napa gold filters, will do. I respect your oppinion however have read your posts about throttle body spacers and modifying them, etc. On episode 410 they dyno the transdapt tbi spacer and show 15-20 hp torque gains, are you saying that is fabricated? Or just that you didn't like the specific brand you got for your truck? I read about the noise you didn't like, was that tbi spacer origional or did you modify it? Just curious.

dougbfresh,
I am not sure if the new truck has dual exhaust however either way I can't afford it now. Thanks very much both of you for your posts, any further discussion would be helpfull!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Banned

NO, does your CURRENT truck have duals?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:42 PM

not yet, current exhaust is single side exit (stock I think) the flowmaster looks like a great system to me with dual rear exit pipes. THanks again for the imput!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Banned

So your going to add headers and cat back duals, are you going to make it a true dual exhaust with 2 converters?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:02 PM

the kit I am planning is hedman headers, flowmaster super 40 series muffler 3" in and dual 2.5" out of the muffler, exhaust strait out the back (over axle of courxe) Any suggestions I haven't found a true dual exhaust with 2 converters?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Banned

SO, your really staying with a single exhaust with 2 tailpipes. I "assume" your keeping the Cat that's on there now?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:40 PM

There are so many aftermarket high flow cats out there I don't know which to get, I found some for under $100. what brand does everyone suggest?

Do you know of any kits to use 2 cats, one off of each header?

Last edited by beardeddragon; 07-24-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Diesel Nut

justen is on a distinguished road
I bought my kit from heartthrob exhaust, Which is a dual cat setup. I'm sure theres other company's it will all vary in price.

The throttle body spacer I used was the helix throttle body spacer on a 1994 2500 with the 350. We dyno tested it and lost 2 hp. So I took it off and ran without it. After I had everything done to it, and tuned up. I dynoed it again and it read 287 hp at the rear tires. Thats one pickup I missed. Reliable and would bark the tires 1st and 2nd gear pretty easy.

Last edited by justen; 07-24-2006 at 06:22 PM.